Author Topic: Tournament Level Length Longer than Programmed - See Pic...  (Read 1822 times)

Jabelliker

• View Profile
Tournament Level Length Longer than Programmed - See Pic...
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:25:19 PM »
Hi -

I used this software for the first time last night, and I can't believe how much I friggin' love it. However, there were a few random issues that I'm trying to figure out... Please see the attached screen shot of my Rounds Tab and a portion of my Tournament History. I'll also try to attach the entire Tournament history text file so you can see if I somehow screwed something up....

1. For some reason, a "random break" seemed to pop-up just after Round 8 (400-800), and just before Round 9 (600-1200). Interestingly, I can't find this in my tournament history, but I had to actually manually start Round 9 (there was some initial confusion as you can tell in the history file, as I was trying to figure out how to manually start Round 9). This second break wasn't supposed to start until after Round 11 (1000-2000).

2 - If you look at the Rounds Tab and portion of the history file on my screen shot, you will notice that Round 11 (1000/2000) is supposed to last for 15 minutes. Yet somehow, this level started correctly with a 15:00min countdown, but was followed by another 10min countdown! Although again, it's not documented in the tournament history file, you can see on the screen shot that the level took 25 minutes (15 mins + 10 mins of playing time).

I know I must be doing something incorrectly, so I'm hoping someone can readily identify the issue.

mrowland1

• View Profile
Re: Tournament Level Length Longer than Programmed - See Pic...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 12:56:38 AM »
I'm sure Corey will respond at some point, but I've been using this software for about 2 years, and I have a pretty good feel for it.

Few questions: Did you stop the clock for any reason during level 11? Every level is uniform from your tournament history TXT file is down the second in terms of when levels start and finish. This one started at 11:10:35 and ended at 11:36:46. That is 26 minutes and 11 seconds. I'm wondering if the clock accidentally got paused for 10 minutes (very easy to do, just need to hit the spacebar). The clock wouldn't simply add 11 minutes and 11 seconds to the timer. It had to been inadvertently paused. Your screenshot doesn't actually show this, it shows that level 11 should start at 2 hours 40 minutes into the game, with the break starting 2 hours 55 minutes into the game, with round 12 starting at 3 hours 5 minutes into the game. Your times you set up would be consistent with your levels there.

The tournament history is getting it's time (the real time) from your computer clock, so we know you were in that level an extra 11:11, but there is no way of knowing WHEN the timer actually got paused (I'm almost certain that's what happened). My guess is that it occurred when Bo Berdej was busted out at 11:23:17pm.

I can't see anything that would indicate a phantom level occurring after round 8, but round 9 was ended early by the user only 2 minutes after round 9 started. Looking at the actual time stamps on the entries below, nothing seems out of the ordinary other than the forced start of level 10. Round 9 started 3 seconds after round 8 (like it's supposed to do...there is always a small delay when switching). There is no time stamp discrepancy - wondering again if someone was not looking at the info or was interpreting it incorrectly and thought it said the game was on a break. I don't know, but I'm not sure there is enough there to definitively say that a phantom level occurred, which is not really supported by any of the real-time time stamps.

10:35:21 pm 01/30/2015: End of round 8
10:35:24 pm 01/30/2015: Start of round 9
10:36:44 pm 01/30/2015: Kyle Farrell busted out of the tournament
10:36:44 pm 01/30/2015: Joe Balada busted out of the tournament
10:37:11 pm 01/30/2015: Bob Tansey busted out of the tournament
10:37:47 pm 01/30/2015: User initiated next round
10:37:47 pm 01/30/2015: Start of round 10

What exactly did the tournament screen look like when you thought this phantom, extra break occurred? Did the tournament screen change to a different color (Red by default)?

Jabelliker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:05:16 PM »
Thanks so much for looking at my files mrowland...

Before checking for responses to this thread, I took some time to try and recreate the scenario. Here's what I've found...

I'm running my TD Software on a VMFusion virtual Windows 8.1 Machine on my Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, sometimes key mapping isn't as straight forward as I had thought. Upon consolidating tables by pausing the tournament clock and accepting TD's recommended player table moves (my players panic if the clock is running and they aren't seated), I inadvertently hit Fn-2 on my mac keyboard (which I though would map to Function-2 on a Windows Keyboard). However, as you can see, if I press Fn-2, the TD Screen continues the current countdown, but brings up the Break Screen. The reason I pressed theis key combination was to escape from the Player Movement Table Screen, and bring focus back to my main TD Playing Screen. As I wrote previously, this was the first time I had used the software and certainly shouldn't have pressed Fn-2 to try and bring back my main TD Screen. It just so happens, Fn-1 does do exactly that - it brings back the TD Main Playing Screen with the current clock. I must have pressed Fn-2, because I just recreated the problem while sitting here in my basement.

I'm not sure what the key sequences I've listed above actually are supposed to do, I can only describe what happens on my macbook pro when I press those keys (as I had that evening).

Below are two screenshots of the TD Screen. The first is Level 9 showing the correct blinds, etc. I then press Fn-2 and I get the second screenshot" Level 9 behaving as a break. Again, not sure why this happens, maybe just some kind of bug with keyboard mapping and my MacBook. :(

JD
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:12:23 PM by Jabelliker »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31:20 PM »
I'm sure Corey will respond at some point ...

Thank you, mrowland1, for the vote of confidence.  :)

I've actually been on vacation, and even then I try to reserve some time to answer support questions and, if possible, visit the forums.  Unfortunately the hotel I was at for the past 3 days had a terrible internet service that was constantly dropping packets, making most internet usage all but impossible.

Jabelliker, I read through your post first, made a few mental notes, examined your screenshots, and came to some preliminary conclusions.  Then when reading mrowland1's post afterwards found that my conclusions are exactly the same.  I would explain further but really there's no need, as mrowland1 went into excellent detail.  I agree completely.

In your followup, while I'm not certain how the Mac keys are mapped in the VM, I do recognize a little bit of confusion that may explain things: the round number doesn't advance until the next round starts.  So, if there is a break between rounds 9 and 10, then the round number is "9" until round 10 actually begins.  That means that during the break, it is still round 9.  So looking at your screenshots, it appears that the Fn key advanced the level (which means it's likely mapped to Ctrl+Cursor Right).  On the other hand, if your schedule does not have a break after level 9, then it would seem there is an issue.  :)  Your earlier screenshot would indicate there is NOT a break there, but that could be a different schedule.  I'm going to be impressed if you managed to get the tournament into a break that isn't in the schedule.

Jabelliker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:57:22 AM »
Thanks for looking at this for me Corey. As i wrote in the initial post, your software is absolutely incredible. It's just taking me a bit of time trying to work out a few bugs with my MacBook.

For what it's worth I've figured out how to correctly map function keys from my MacBook to Windows: Rather than pressing Fn-1 or Fn-2, you must press Fn-F1 or Fn-F2 while running VMFusion  in order to send the appropriate keystrokes to the Windows shell.

I've taken about an hour each night over this past week to work out some of the issues I ran into last week - I've also downloaded a bunch of the sound files you have posted on here and linked them to a bunch of the tournament events. I can't wait to put this software back into action tomorrow at my weekly game.

Thanks again! I'll be registering my copy when I get home!!!!

JD