Author Topic: Finding when the final table will be made  (Read 1573 times)

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
Finding when the final table will be made
« on: November 18, 2010, 05:12:13 AM »
I will shortly be running a freezeout/bounty tournament

• 64 players maximum, each with 10000 starting stack.
  • total chips in play 640,000
  • 8 * 8-seater tables.

I have attached a copy of the blind levels as a jpeg file

The tournament will start at 12:30 and i want it to finish no later than 10:00pm.

What i would like to know is there someway of calculating
  • when the final table will be reached?
  • what the small and big blinds will be at the final table
  • How long will the final table last?
What do others think of this structure?
  • Is it to tight/loose
  • Will it turn into an all in fest?
I would be very obliged if someone can look at this for me and give me there thoughts and any suggestions
Many thanks in advance

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Finding when the final table will be made
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:32:56 AM »
What i would like to know is there someway of calculating
  • when the final table will be reached?
  • what the small and big blinds will be at the final table
  • How long will the final table last?

http://www.homepokertourney.com/blinds.htm

He lists a few methods for determining how long your tournament will last.  In my experience, when the BB hits the starting stack size, the tournament will end soon, if it hasn't already.  But those are tournaments with no rebuys and no add-ons.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:18:38 PM »
My question is why have break 4 be 40 min long when the others are just 8 min long.  I can understand a longer break to a point, but I'd probably go more towards 20, 25 min personally. I think it's a decent structure otherwise, perhaps a little long on the blinds length, but then again, that's just my personal preference. Odds are, though, I think you'd have no issues with being done by 10.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Mahound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:26:03 AM »
My question is why have break 4 be 40 min long when the others are just 8 min long.  I can understand a longer break to a point, but I'd probably go more towards 20, 25 min personally. I think it's a decent structure otherwise, perhaps a little long on the blinds length, but then again, that's just my personal preference. Odds are, though, I think you'd have no issues with being done by 10.
[/b]

Sorry. I should have mentioned that the 40 minute break is for a buffet provided by the venue, where the game is being held.

The venue have been good enough to let me run it there, obviously they expect to make some money from drinks sales. So I want people to stay the distance. So i have tried to give a game where people will not be under pressure early on, and that's why I have given them 200 big blinds starting stack. There will be 1 table sit and go's for those who get eliminated early on.

One other concern is what effect, if any,  having a bounty hunter will have on the tournament, Will it make it too fast?

Also I was going to withhold all the prizes until the end of the tournament and then have a presentation to the prize winners. Along with a couple of trophies. Is that a good idea? Or should i pay the bounties out as and when they occur?

Many thanks for the quick reply and the advice, much appreciated.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »
There's no real HUGE effect that I've noticed - it would cause some people to play more loose, but others would play more tight. As far as paying the bounties, I don't think it'd matter either way, and I personally like the idea of a presentation style at the end.

Mike
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Mahound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:28:38 AM »
There's no real HUGE effect that I've noticed - it would cause some people to play more loose, but others would play more tight. As far as paying the bounties, I don't think it'd matter either way, and I personally like the idea of a presentation style at the end.

Mike

Many thanks for your input. appreciate it. Its set to run in the New Year. will post my afterthought on how it turns out.
again thank you

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »
Look forward to hearing how it went. Your welcome for my thoughts, and hope things run smoothly for you :)
---