Author Topic: Event/Trigger Help  (Read 3666 times)

cousguy

• View Profile
Event/Trigger Help
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »
Is there a trigger/condition combination i could use to launch an event when a specific prize is awarded?  In my case, i'd like to have an event launch when my bounty on player (specific player, not random) is won.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Event/Trigger Help
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 01:24:57 PM »
There isn't.  I considered this.  There are two ways it could be done.  The conditions could either test for the prize being awarded, or for the player being busted out.  But this introduces much more complexity into the conditions, because you would have to have some way to reference either the prize or player.  And how do you do that?  By player name?  ID?  Prize description?  Prize number?  Unfortunately, it's just not practical.

cousguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »
The way i would see it, is that there would be a trigger for "when a prize gets awarded", then a condition that checks a prize id.  So in my case, the trigger would be "when a prize gets awarded" and the condition would be "isPrize"=4.  With this method, i think you could even get rid of the random prize trigger since the random prize is just another id.

All that to say, i'm sure it's much more complicated that that!

Anyway, for your consideration... :)

OutOfCrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:08:12 PM »
I'm guessing, from this thread, that there's also no way to do something we want to do: write an event that would trigger a specific sound when one particular player busts out.

We have a donkey in our group. Everyone, including the donkey, knows it. It would be hilarious to be able to play a hee-awwww! sound automatically whenever he busts out.  If I could write an event triggered by a player bust out with the condition "name = Joe" that would be ideal.

As a more general question: I can't seem to find the documentation for the conditions that you can use in an event. The pre-defined events and the occasional passing description to a feature here and there are the only places I found that document what can go here. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere?

I realize I have other ways of making a donkey sound play at my command. But we started to imagine specific sounds for a half dozen different "characters" we had in our tournaments and thought it would have been fun to program that up...

OutOfCrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 03:13:46 PM »
Ah, found the variables in the test conditions thingy. Never mind, now I've got the list. No way to test for a specific player (I guess the expression parser isn't equipped to do string syntax and comparisons?)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 10:09:25 AM »
The parser would have a little trouble dealing with it, the way it is coded now, but could probably be made to work.  But the amount of work required, and the inevitable difficulties I believe people would have with this particular feature puts it lower in the priority list...

kampcs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 05:37:11 AM »
Hate to dig through these old posts and grave-rob or whatever the term is, but Corey - is this still the case? I know 3.3 is a much different application from whatever we were using in 2007.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
You can create an event that fires when a specific player busts out.  That one is possible.  Creating an event that fires when a specific prize is awarded is not possible.

To identify a player, you can use the ID variable or the InternalID variable.  The ID variable corresponds to the ID field of a player.  Players will have an ID value only if you assign one.  The InternalID variable corresponds to the internal ID that the application uses to identify each player.  All players will have an internal ID, even if they are not in your player database and only added to the tournament.

To see a player's internal ID, edit the player on the Players tab or the Database tab (if from the Players tab, edit the player then press the Edit button next to the player's name on the Edit Game Player dialog).  Near the bottom of the player details dialog, check "Show all fields".  The Internal ID field should show itself.  It will have a value similar to this: 4279b6a0-ab15-11df-338a-e9c53cd879ca

When you create an event, the Trigger should be "A player busts out", and the Conditions will be:

internalID = "4279b6a0-ab15-11df-338a-e9c53cd879ca"

The process is the same if you use the ID field.  Just change the Conditions to:

id = "whatever-value-the-player-has-for-their-id"