Author Topic: No file (load/save) dialogs  (Read 44057 times)

gutshot

• View Profile
Re: No file (load/save) dialogs
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 11:06:12 PM »
Here's a potential fix for this issue.  I've attached a "reg" file to this post.  This is a Windows Registry file.  Download the file (right-click on the file below and select "Save As..."), and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click the file.  You should see a dialog asking if you want to import the information into the registry, like this:

Press the "Yes" button.  If you are running Vista, you will most likely first be prompted with an "elevation" dialog, telling you that the system needs your permission in order to run the file.  Agree to this.

Thanks Corey.
Start up the TD and try to load/save.  Hopefully, you'll get the file selection dialog this time.

Let me try this again

The registry import worked for me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

MarcJ

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 01:06:57 AM »
Corey's fix worked for me - on Vista with all the latest updates, I couldn't load the game I'd saved after downloading TD tonight. Many thanks!! ;D ;D 8)

a600369

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 07:51:19 AM »
Hi. I had the same problem. (Eee PC, Win XP Home Norwegian, IE7).
I removed the IE updates in this requence:
KB938127-v2 + reboot (same error)
KB960714 + reboot (same error)
KB956390 + reboot (IT WORKED!)

G.

ref

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »
The fix worked for me too! Thanks!    ;D ;D

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2008, 09:22:09 AM »
So, Corey, for those of us who haven't done the latest update, what do you advise?

• wait to install update
  • install update and use the posted fix
  • wait until new version of TD comes out that includes the fix as part of the install(?)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »
Good question.

My advice is first, if you're not experiencing the issue, obviously there's no need to do anything.

As far as Windows Updates go, I would advise keeping up with them.  It appears I've identified the TD issue, and the workaround works, so there's no good reason NOT to install Windows updates.  If you experience the problem, use the "reg" file to fix it.  This is a good *workaround* because it can easily be undone if necessary.  It is not the solution to the problem.

I am still investigating the issue.  I have a version 2.5.5 ready for some testing but I'm not quite convinced it is the proper fix, so I have not yet released it.  And of course, the holidays are currently delaying that just a little bit.  Stay tuned ...

Sargo001

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
Regardless of the update (2.5.5) Outstanding work everyone and to you Cory for the work you have done and the joy for us all!  LOL

Thank you!

The reg fix solved the issue for me as well  :)

Priest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 04:17:03 AM »
nevermind..... got it now
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:11:33 AM by Priest »

Jaxen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 02:09:08 PM »
Has this issue been resolved? I logged on here to show a co-worker and fellow TD user a background and I saw this. I'm holding a tournament in 3 weeks and haven't used TD since the last one I hosted in October. If it's still a problem, it's a BIG problem for me. (I fooled with TD right before Xmas to play some sounds for someone at the Events tab worked fine)

EDIT: I'm a nit and only read through the first page of this thread. I'll go home and play with TD and report my findings ... I have a laptop with some preloaded version of Vista.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:28:59 PM by Jaxen »

Nufty

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
The .REG file fix (workaround) worked perfectly for me too.

Brand new laptop on Jan 1st 2009 running Windows XP SP3 and Internet Explorer 7. I did all Windows updates when I unpacked it and then installed TD.

I had the problem, read this whole thread, did the .REG fix ONLY and all is now well. I can load all my old saves from the old, broken laptop copied over and I can save new ones.

Thanks Corey, good work!  :)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »
Just an update... I've incorporated a fix into the next version of the TD, but I've got a separate fix I'd like to include.  I'm waiting for OSes to arrive so I can do a wide range of testing on both of the fixes.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:57 PM »
Many thanks to everyone for helping out with this one.  I've just released 2.5.5, and I believe the problem is fixed.

pizzaboy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 08:42:17 AM »
Corey.....just incase you dont know........microsoft have just realised there new operating system on a beta version....WINDOWS 7.........it uses internet explorer 8 beta.....and YOUR LASTEST VERSION 5.5 works great.......at least you know you have future proofed yourself ;D......

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 10:02:44 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll be doing some Windows 7 testing soon.

pizzaboy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12:31 PM »
i meant to add.....ive tested it for you on the windows 7 beta,32 bit and 64 bit...works spot on..no glitches....... 8)