Author Topic: Black screens and application slow down  (Read 20978 times)

BrianKristiansen

• View Profile
Re: Black screens and application slow down
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »

So I recommend, if you're using version 3.4 or later, clear out the Points for Playing formula before your next tournament.  You won't see points accumulated during the tournament, but you can always put the formula back after the tournament ends and points will instantly be computed for every player.  Hopefully this will help with the memory issue while your tournament is running.

how do i do this ?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2018, 09:44:29 AM »
You just clear the Points for Playing formula.  On the Game tab.  Make sure there is no formula.  If you want to use a formula to compute points, wait until the tournament is over and put the formula there.  All points will automatically be computed.  After you add the formula, go to the Players tab to see each player's points.

dirty_outs

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »
I have a new laptop (16gb ram) and I just bought TD, it has these memory crashes, black screens and the UI is pretty screwy as well.

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 08:28:13 AM »
Going back to version 3.3.1 worked for me.

dirty_outs

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
Tried 3.3.1 but the UI was wrecked, unusable for me

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »
What does "wrecked" mean?

dirty_outs

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »
What I see when I first open 3.3.1

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2018, 07:38:08 AM »
Looks like your font size is to large

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »
This is due to using an increased font/text size in Windows, which usually happens when your PC has a higher resolution screen.

I mitigated this somewhat in version 3.4 by introducing the ability to change the font size in the application.  This basically fixes it about 90%.  But it's a band aid really.

In a version before 3.4, the only way to fix it is to turn off the increased text size in Windows.  It's a bad solution, but really that's all you can do.  If it were me, I would set the Windows resolution back down to 1920x1080, or maybe even lower, and the text size back to 100%, when I run a tournament.

The next release (tentatively version 3.5) will fix this, because Chromium works properly with higher resolution screens and increased text size.  I tried the in-development version on my 4K laptop and it looks perfect.

Dr.Registry

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
Hi All,
(Bad english sorry)

I have the same issue on Windows 10 / IE11 / TD 3.4.3.
I did a lot of tests but the last one seems conclusive, waiting for version 3.5.

What i made is the following : I replaced the file mshta10.exe with a version released with Internet Explorer 9 (File version 9.0.8112.16421) and rename it with the same name mshta10.exe.

What's happens :
- At launch, i must register again the licence because TD said the evaluation period has expired. I register, it's OK, version registered.
- Unable to use the system file dialog box. Instead, we can configure to use the integrated file box in the preferences if the system file box does not work. It's OK and all records can be made with the integrated dialog box.
- Unable to freeze the application : I have made a lot of actions, the memory grows up to 1100Mo but NO FREEZE, NO BLACK SCREEN (Before change, easy to freeze at 350Mo memory used and quickly)
- TD responds faster

I do not know all the consequences of this change but it improves much the stability of version 3.4.3 on Windows 10 while waiting for the 3.5 with NO FREEZE and NO BLACK SCREENS.

So Mr COOPER, is this a valid workaround for you ?

Other Users, can you please test this ?
The link i use to download a 64bit version of internet explorer 9 and the extract to find the mshta.exe file (There is 2 files, a 11,5Ko and a 12Ko, i take the 12Ko file) is this one --> http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/1/6/C167B427-722E-4665-9A40-A37BC5222B0A/IE9-Windows7-x64-enu.exe

UPDATED !!!
SAME GOOD RESULT with a more recent version of mshta --> version 10.00.9200.16521 (13.5Ko) released with Internet Explorer 10 64b.
At launch, i must register again the licence because TD said the evaluation period has expired. I register, it's OK, version registered.
- Unable to use the system file dialog box. Instead, we can configure to use the integrated file box in the preferences if the system file box does not work. It's OK and all records can be made with the integrated dialog box.
- Unable to freeze the application : I have made a lot of actions, the memory grows up to 1100Mo but NO FREEZE, NO BLACK SCREEN (Before change, easy to freeze at 350Mo memory used and quickly)
- TD responds faster
No download link because the link was deleted by Microsoft. I had a package of this version at work or you can obtain it on a windows 7 64b desktop with Internet Explorer 10.

Waiting for answer.
Doc
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:48:33 AM by Dr.Registry »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 11:47:42 PM »
If this works, then it's great, certainly.  I'll have to try it out myself, but at the moment I cannot even reproduce my own previous results.  When I run the same test (busting players out) in the same way (it's automated) on the same PC, it no longer causes a memory leak.  At least not on version 3.4.3.  The application starts at about 140MB and reaches around 200MB after busting out 100 players.  I have absolutely no idea why it no longer leaks like it did before.

I'll keep trying.

Dr.Registry

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »
Hi Corey,

Not only bust players to hang the application. To grow up the memory used, before change of mshta10.exe, i open objects in presentation, read database, open events, open banner, open screens set, ... a lot of objects and memory grows up. The application hangs with black screen between 300 and 450Mo used on Windows 10/IE11.
I let you try this.

Thanks for the answer.