Author Topic: Formula help  (Read 2431 times)

jjschoon

• View Profile
Formula help
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
I just took over running a poker league.  We award 1 point for each place you finish which is n-r+1.  But after you make the final table (10 people)  you get a bonus point for each spot you move up. ie  if 12 people 12th gets 1 11th 2 10th 4 9th 6 ... 2nd 20 1st 22.  Any idea what formula I could use?  Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Formula help
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:52:28 PM »
n-r+1 + finalTable * (10-r+1)

Note that the "10" in the formula is the number of seats at the final table.  It is "hard-coded", meaning there's no variable available that tells the formula how many seats the final table has.  So if your final table ever changes in size, you'll need to modify the formula.

jjschoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 02:08:05 PM »
I tried that formula, copied and pasted it, and it gave me the same results as n-r+1 for some reason.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »
Yeah, you are probably testing it so what you need to do is in the finalTable slot change the 0 to a 1... 0 means that it is not final table whereas 1 means it is final table... mind you, once you put the one in everyone in the test will get final table points...

I think this little item should be on the to do list as a bit of a fix up... maybe in the test area you could be able to create a final table number... I don't think there is one now... I use final table in my formula and it would be cool for me  ;)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
I understand the confusion, but it's confusion one way or the other.  The test dialog allows you to set the values of all of the available variables that would otherwise be set automatically according to the state of the tournament.  Many of these values will differ from player to player (such as "finalTable").  When you run your formula to test for a set number of players ("Test All"), it has to use the same values for each player - what else could it do?

I see that I *could* allow you to place the number of players on the final table and have the software adjust "finalTable" accordingly when you press "Test All", but then that changes the whole "theme" of the dialog.  I mean, it simply adds to the complexity of the dialog, and that dialog is frankly rather nasty as it is.