Author Topic: Random Player  (Read 4734 times)

Lafrog

• View Profile
Random Player
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to choose a random player based on Registration Time.
I have a promotion where a player can get a free buy-in if he buys his entry no later that 15 minutes prior to the tournament starts.

Also, is there a way to display that name on the board upon having TD randomly select this player?

TIA,

Michel

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Random Player
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 03:50:10 PM »
Unfortunately, no.  The criteria for choosing a random player doesn't include buy-in time.

But if there was, you can display the random player by creating an event whose Trigger is "A random player is chosen for a prize".  You'd add an Action to the event that displays a message, and use the <randomname> token to fill in the chosen player's name.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 06:05:35 AM »
Anyway to "freeze" the selection prior to the draw?

What I mean is if I could lock in my players selection (at a certain time) but do the drawing and display later?

TIA,
Michel

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »
No, just the criteria you see on the Random Player dialog on the Players tab.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »
Ok, I believe to have a couple of solutions/workarounds for this:

But I do not have access to my Tournament computer to test it, can someone tell me if either of these would work?

• Since we do not use Add-On, I create a 0$/0 chips add-on that I give to all my players that bought-in before a certain time.
    Then I select a random player based on who got an add-on which triggers my custom "Display Daily Winner' action (displaying a message containing 'randomname').
  • I choose my Random player at the time I said my player should have bought in to avail themselves of the draw. Later I trigger my custom "Display Daily Winner' action (displaying a message containing 'randomname') that I set to be triggered by a HotKey. Would that display the last random player chosen?

TIA
Michel

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 12:08:49 PM »
Ok here's an update...

Giving a No Chips/No Fees add-on to all players that bought in before a certain time seems to be doing the trick as I am now able to select a random player from that lot only which is great.

I also created an event to display that name on my screen but nothing happens...
Pressing "Go" on my Choose Random Player dialog does not trigger the event (any event)

Is there a property that has to be toggled somewhere else in the program that is preventing me from doing this?

TIA
M

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 10:27:46 PM »
I also created an event to display that name on my screen but nothing happens...
Pressing "Go" on my Choose Random Player dialog does not trigger the event (any event)

Is there a property that has to be toggled somewhere else in the program that is preventing me from doing this?

No, sorry.  The Random Player dialog is really just a simple tool to help you choose a random player for something the software likely doesn't support.  The event triggers are for when the software picks a random player to receive a prize.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:54:14 AM »
I am confused now...

When does the "software" pick a player for a prize? (if not through the "Random Player" dialog)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 10:14:44 AM »
When you create a prize and set its Recipient field to "Random player" or Bounty on Random player.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »
Is this done on the Prize Tab?

Because according to the help text on "Random Player" it appears that it should have done the trick...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 01:17:13 PM »
Yes, when creating a prize, you have to select a Recipient.  It could be a rank, meaning the player who achieves that rank; or a bounty on a player, in which case you can choose "Random Player" and the TD software will choose a random player in your tournament on which to place the bounty (and the prize will be awarded to the hitman when the random player busts out); or a random player, meaning the TD software will simply choose someone in your tournament to receive the prize (and the prize will be awarded when the random player busts out); or it can be manual, in which case the TD software won't award the prize.  In the last case you have to override the recipient to manually award the prize.

For the "Bounty on random player" and "Random player" recipient settings of a prize, the prize is awarded at bust-out.  Therefore, you can create an event triggered by a random player being chosen for a prize.  The event can be configured to display the randomly chosen player.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »
So there is no way for me to have TD randomly choose a player prior to the tournament start and have that name displayed on the screen?!?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »
Not automatically.  You can always throw up an ad-hoc message on the screen.  On the Controls tab, press the Display Message button.  You'll have to type it in manually, but it works.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »
Too bad...

Any way this could make its way into a future release of TD?

I feel we are already so close!  ;)

M

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 10:54:16 AM »
I suppose a button could be added to the Random Player dialog to do it.  I'll look into it.