Author Topic: Forumla help...  (Read 1992 times)

C-Pr0mpt

• View Profile
Forumla help...
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:16:12 AM »
We recently upgraded to TD from a more basic program pretty much for the points formula option that TD offers.  The other program we were using had no such ranking system.  It pretty much just ranked people off of dollars won which is garbage.  Anyway, the one reason we decided to use TD is what is giving us the most frustration.  :)

I don't even know where to begin to create the formula we will be using...

We want to have a formula where a player is given points based on what place they come in (with total number of players in tourney factored in), with a small boost for eliminating people, and small penalties for rebuying or adding on.

This is all new to us though.  We aren't familiar with the language.  We also aren't familiar with what standard points are given for such factors.  I understand we can just make up our own point values, though we'd kind of like to be in the norm for such factors. 

Is there a place were we can see sample formulas with the factors listed involved?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Forumla help...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:21:53 PM »
do you have an idea of how you want the points to be awarded? If so, you can repost it here... If you're looking for some formulas, if you search this thread you can see some.  the one I use is on here too, where it is based upon the # that show and awards points for the top ten, although it looks like a monster.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »
I think the simplest ranking formula would be:

n - r + 1

One point for each player you surpassed in the rankings.  For a 10-player tournament, points are awarded as such:

1st: 10 pts
 2nd:  9 pts
 3rd:  8 pts
 4th:  7 pts
 5th:  6 pts
 6th:  5 pts
 7th:  4 pts
 8th:  3 pts
 9th:  2 pts
10th:  1 pt

You can add, say, half a point for busting another player out, and subtract a point for rebuys or add-ons:

n - r + 1 + (nh  * .5) - nr - na

Honestly, the hard part is not writing the formula, it's coming up with how you want to award points.  Once you've done that, post your solution here and I or someone else will gladly help work that into a formula you can paste into the software.

Search the forums for examples of other users' formulas.

flyinghigh1973

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 10:27:30 AM »
Corey, is that all you have to put in for the formula you show for that to work. I would like to use the Top 10 points and the .5 point for busting another player out. I usually have more than 10 players but only want to award top 10 with points and .5 points for anyone who bust someone esle out.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:12:54 AM »
To award only the top 10 players points, use this:

max(0, 11 - r)

This will always award 10 points to 1st place, 9 to 2nd place, etc, down to 1 for 10th place.  For hits, just add nh * .5, making the entire formula:

max(0, 11 - r) + (nh * .5)

Put that into the Points for Playing field on the Game tab.  That's it.

flyinghigh1973

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:16:34 AM »
I just thought of another factor that I might want to add. What would need to be added if I wanted to give say 3 points just for playing.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »
Either you could add three to the end, or on the game tab, in a box labeled points for playing, put the three in there. Either way should work fine for you.  I personally use the formula to award my top ten, and use the boxes for hits and for playing.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
max(0, 11 - r) + (nh * .5) + 3

flyinghigh1973

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 11:40:25 AM »
Thank You. Thats awesome.

pokergood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »
Our league is in it's 6th season. 40 members. weekly game. three / ten person tables. This formula has proven to be so good. We've tried others but this is bulletproof.

sqrt((buyinCost/totalcost*buyinCost*numberOfPlayers)/(rank))

The outcome is that  anyone who re-buys or adds-on gets point for exactly double their ranking (ie. 1st place gets 2nd place points, 4th place gets 8th place points.) Unless that player does multiple re-buys or add-ons, then the penalty continues. The points curve is not linear. For instance:

This formula has proven to (from a points perspective) benefit solid players and penalize those who re-buy and add-on every week. Us solid players love the gamblers sweetening the pot every week.

$20 membership fee per year covers chips, cards, tables. No Rake. No profit.

Tourney Overview:
-$20 buy-in, re-buy or add-on gets you $10,000 in chips.
-15 minute blinds with BB of 50, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000, 1,200, 1,600, 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, 6,000, 8,000, 10,000, 12,000, 16,000, 20,000
-Tourney lasts between 4 1/2 and 6 hours. Our season-ending 'Tournament of Champions' is 9 players, same levels but 30 minute blinds. It's an 8-hour game  
-We allow buy-ins and re-buys for the first hour of play, before the first break. First season, we didn't allow re-buys which made an early bad beat a real bummer. Second season we implimented add-ons.
-Add-ons are allowed during the first break to anyone still holding chips. This was done to prevent chip dumping during the last few hands before break.
-Players RSVP via a web portal. Anyone who shows up late has to wait for the current level to end before buying in. If tables are full, sucks to be them.
-During a normal season, we play 15-19 games of which each player's top 9 scores are counted. That formulas look like this:

Overall Score 1 (renamed "Top 9 Games (ToC)"):     sum(top(9, scores))

Overall Score 2 (renamed "Lowest Game in Top 8") :   If(count(scores)>8,(Sum(bottom([count(scores) - 8],scores))-Sum(bottom([count(scores) - 9],scores))),0)

Overall Score 3: renamed "Top 8 Games"):       sum(top(2,scores))

As the season wraps up, posting stats with these columns showing really helps players with strategy.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:28:47 PM by pokergood »