Author Topic: Question about formula's  (Read 1271 times)

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
Question about formula's
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:33:54 AM »
Just a quick question.

I know nothing about formula's, got all the info off here, got help to set it up.

It's only a simple one, I had already set up all my points for playing and all the other stuff
so I just added the formula for using the best 10 results from 12.
This works great.

The question is:

How does the formula work ?, at the end off the season easy, it will use the best 10 results from the 12 games for everyone.

If a player has missed a game it will in this case use the best 10 from 11, hope so anyway.

My players are asking can they see what the league table would look like with your worst 2 results omitted.

So when I do a table every month could I change the formula to say best 2 from 4 or best 6 from 8, if so what happens
with players that have missed games ?

Any help please.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Question about formula's
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
The best 10 of 12 will allow a player to miss two without penalty. It will take the best ten scores for the player. Your players won't be able to see it until you play 11 or 12 games, unless you modify the top 10 to be top x, where x is two less than the weeks that have been played, as you had eluded to towards the end of your post.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
Good question.  There are several ways to implement a "best n out of m" scores, and they do have different meanings and results.

sum(top(8, scores))

• gives the sum of the player's highest 8 scores
  • never counts more than 8 tournaments
  • doesn't drop any scores until the player has played at least 9 tournaments

sum(top(count(scores) - 2, scores))

• gives the sum of the player's highest scores, dropping the lowest 2
  • there's no upper-limit on how many scores are summed, it's always however many tournaments the player has played in minus 2
  • drops the lowest 2 scores right away; for example, if the player has played in 4 tournaments, it sums only the highest 2
  • each player will have a 0 score until they have played in at least 3 tournaments

sum(top(n - 2, scores))

• gives the sum of the player's highest scores, dropping the lowest 2
  • based on the number of tournaments run, not on the number of tournaments the player has played
  • there's no upper-limit on how many scores are summed, it's always however many tournaments have been run minus 2
  • all players will have a 0 score until at least 3 tournaments have been played
  • a player won't have any scores dropped unless they have played in at least n minus 1 tournaments; for example, if there have been 12 tournaments, n - 2 equals 10, so it's summing the top 10 scores for each player, and thus only players who have played 11 or more tournaments will actually have any scores dropped

Of course, any of these can be tweaked.  As an example,

sum(top(max(2, count(scores) - 2), scores))

This is the same as the previous one, except it always counts at least 2 of the player's scores.  Thus, it doesn't start dropping scores until the player has at least 4.

Does this help?

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »
Thanks for the great response.

Will do some testing to find out the best for me.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)