Author Topic: Rules Screen - scrolling text across  (Read 1628 times)

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
Rules Screen - scrolling text across
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:29:25 PM »
I have made a rules screen to be displayed pre-tournament
I have about 20 lines of rules. these are enclosed on html markings, I think? as in   <li>No Cheating. No Fighting. These will result in AUTOMATIC EXPULSION.</li>

I tried to get them to scroll across the screen from right to left, so i tried putting the <marquee> before and after each line.

This resulted in the first line ambling across the screen . when the text in the message was about 90 percent visible. the other lines started to come onto view, all were slightly behind the previous line but as more lines appeared the faster they all got. Until they were going so fast you would not be able to read them. One other thing is that the faster lines finished ahead of the first line and most were off the screen before the first line got to the left hand side.

I don't even know if this will work, i was just trying it out to see what would happen, But the idea i had was that each line would scroll across the screen in about 5 seconds one by one until all were visible and then would repeat the cycle indefinitely.

So is what I want, possible?

I tried this because i want people to read the rules. If there is just a screen with a list of rules people tend to skip through them . but scrolling text gets people to wait and see what.s going to appear next.

Am i on the right track, if not!
  • could i scroll the text upwards?
    could i import a microsoft power point slide show into the screen?

Laugh your head off at what you may see as a daft idea  ::). But any thoughts good or bad would be appreciated.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Rules Screen - scrolling text across
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
I have made a rules screen to be displayed pre-tournament
I have about 20 lines of rules. these are enclosed on html markings, I think? as in   <li>No Cheating. No Fighting. These will result in AUTOMATIC EXPULSION.</li>

I tried to get them to scroll across the screen from right to left, so i tried putting the <marquee> before and after each line.

This resulted in the first line ambling across the screen . when the text in the message was about 90 percent visible. the other lines started to come onto view, all were slightly behind the previous line but as more lines appeared the faster they all got. Until they were going so fast you would not be able to read them. One other thing is that the faster lines finished ahead of the first line and most were off the screen before the first line got to the left hand side.

I don't even know if this will work, i was just trying it out to see what would happen, But the idea i had was that each line would scroll across the screen in about 5 seconds one by one until all were visible and then would repeat the cycle indefinitely.

So is what I want, possible?

I tried this because i want people to read the rules. If there is just a screen with a list of rules people tend to skip through them . but scrolling text gets people to wait and see what.s going to appear next.

Am i on the right track, if not!
  • could i scroll the text upwards?
    could i import a microsoft power point slide show into the screen?

Laugh your head off at what you may see as a daft idea  ::). But any thoughts good or bad would be appreciated.

Yes, it's possible to get it to do this, but not too sure as to why it's not working for you... How do you have the marquee tag in TD showing?
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Mahound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »
Just Like below Magic

<marquee><li>No Cheating. No Fighting. These will result in AUTOMATIC EXPULSION.</li><Marquee>

I did this on all the  lines

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »
Put the <marquee> in front,just once... take out (  <ul> <li> </li> ) it then will be in a straight line if you got 20 thats going to be a very long line. Put this in front of each sentence ...&nbsp;....afew times to space..but not the first one.........<marquee>No Cheating.  &nbsp;&nbsp;  No Fighting.  &nbsp;&nbsp;  These will result in AUTOMATIC EXPULSION.  &nbsp;&nbsp; ...and....on and......on              break it down 3cells or 5cells its a Pre Touney     or    http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=2568.msg12139#msg12139
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:26:53 PM by TIMMER »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:40:48 PM »
My guess is you did something like this:

<marquee>Here's the text for line 1<br>
<marquee>Here's the text for line 2<br>
<marquee>Here's the text for line 3<br>
</marquee>
</marquee>
</marquee>

Or maybe just this:

<marquee>Here's the text for line 1<br>
<marquee>Here's the text for line 2<br>
<marquee>Here's the text for line 3<br>

Do either of these and you'll see it behaves exactly like you've described.  It should be like this:

<marquee>Here's the text for line 1</marquee><br>
<marquee>Here's the text for line 2</marquee><br>
<marquee>Here's the text for line 3</marquee><br>

But, for your purposes, scrolling up might be a better way to go:

<marquee direction="up">Here's the text for line 1<br>
Here's the text for line 2<br>
Here's the text for line 3<br>
</marquee>

Mahound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:29:35 AM »
This is just what i require, but is there any way that i can slow the text scrolling.
With about 20 lines to be displayed it runs through the lot in about 5 seconds.   
Could it be paused  for 10 seconds  after it has scrolled once, and then restart the scroll again?

<marquee direction="up">Here's the text for line 1<br>
Here's the text for line 2<br>
Here's the text for line 3<br>
</marquee>

[/quote]

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »
If you are using this just change the 15 to maybe a 5 or to your liking,...it will slow it down, dont know about a pause <marquee loop="-1" width=700 scrollamount=15>

Mahound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »
Cheers Timmer  and Cory, used a bit from both, combined them and got <marquee direction="up" loop="-1" width=700 scrollamount=2>  I set the scrollamount to 2 and it works great, just as i wanted.

I looked all through the help files to try and find info like this but couldn't see it any where, Is this a new thing thats on the Beta Version only? or can some one point me to the place in the help files

Much Obliged

As Mr Burns would say "EXXXCELLLLENTTTT"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:20:22 AM by Mahound »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:15:48 AM »
<marquee> is an HTML element, it's not a TD layout token.  You can use just about any HTML in your layout.  Here is Microsoft's documentation on the <marquee> element:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535851%28v=VS.85%29.aspx