Author Topic: Shake up the game!  (Read 3667 times)

Trash Monkey

• View Profile
Shake up the game!
« on: August 24, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »
I run two home games a week (Monday and Thursday). My Thursday game is a big one that we have dialed in pretty well. The Monday game was created for "learning the game" purposes but we are finding that a lot of the Thursday players are showing up on Monday too just to line their pockets(so to speak).

I've given up on the teaching thing for Monday and am looking to shake the game up a little. I've bounced a few things around but nothing has quite stuck or felt "right"
i.e. Unlimited re-buys for the first hour when at or under "X" chips (felt like I was compromising the integrity of the game)
Bounty tournaments(fun but didn't get enough players to "opt in" for the bounty
Speed poker (5 min blinds, no breaks (got several tournaments complete in an evening but was more bingo than poker))

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just want something that will make it different enough from Thursday yet still be poker.

oh...I should also mention that where I live not many know how to play anything other than texas hold'em so that has to be the game played both nights.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shake up the game!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
Bounty tournaments(fun but didn't get enough players to "opt in" for the bounty

Why not just make it mandatory?

Trash Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:26:26 AM »
That thought crossed my mind too Cory, I like it but have been afraid to implement it for fear of losing players on that night.

The way my Monday game works is there is a $10.00 buy-in with 1 $10.00 re-buy that can be done anytime within the first hour. 90% of the players do it up front. I also have (2) $2.50 add-ons(that go to dealers for the night)

for a total of $25.00 dollars for the night. It's not a lot of money but twice a week(Mon & Thurs) can begin to effect the pocket book. Making a bounty mandatory just adds to it.

I don't mean to be negative. I am just apprehensive about making the cost go up.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
I understand that.  It just seems to me with neither you nor any of your players will really know if that kind of tournament is for you unless you're fully committed to playing one.

You could consider decreasing the buy-in by the same amount, so that the out-of-pocket expense remains the same.  Of course, that means a decreased pot, but you're shifting some money from the pot to the bounty.  Bounties can be fun, and it gives players who are more aggressive but are rarely in the money an opportunity to go home a winner (or even), still without being in the money.

Trash Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »
Thank you Corey. You're right we really haven't committed to the idea and even if we lose a couple players we would probably gain a couple that prefer bounty over the norm.

b0xcar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
Have you thought about a cash game?

You could run a .25/.50 game
Buy-ins: $10min-$25max

Tie in a jackpot to the game?
Rake: .25 per flop

Jackpot qualifier: Quads or better, Have to use both whole cards, played to the river and $20 in the pot.