Author Topic: Formulas  (Read 7829 times)

Ramjak

• View Profile
Formulas
« on: February 15, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »
I need some help with getting a formula in for points etc.  We use the following for our points, and I was wondering if I can make a formula to do it?

All the following are multiplied by the number of players in the game:

1st=10x(# of players)
2nd=7x
3rd=5x
4th=3x
5th=2x
6th=1x

Is there anyway of doing this automatically in the program?

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
Re: Formulas
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 03:17:29 PM »
You'll have to do it in the prize category.  There's an option for a non-monetary prize.  Just use the formula "n * 10" (or 7, 5, etc) in the "points" box.

The "Points of playing" option on the front page seems really more for giving points to everyone who plays.  If you want to limit that, you're better off doing so under the "prize" tab.

Ramjak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 05:18:04 PM »
tried that..  It won't do the formula , only award the 10 (n*10)

Any other ideas? Or am I missing something?

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 05:27:50 PM »
Hmm, I see.  Well, until TD2 gets formula support for that area, I think you might be stuck with having to just manually entering the numbers.

What you could do, as what I did, if your prize structure is consistent (meaning it's always the same) is to spend an hour making prize templets.  It's not fun, but it speeds things up setup time.  Just setup prizes ranging from 10 - 30 players, (E.g.: one templet for 10 players, one for eleven players, etc.).

Michele

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 10:26:20 AM »
Tim,

I'm having the same problem with awarding points.  If we use your idea and set up a prize template, will TD use this information to keep track of standing on a week to week basis?

Thanks,
Michele

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 02:06:53 PM »
Yes, as long as you save each tournament as a different file.  On the Stats page, you can get an entire listing of the compiled stats for everyone in each tournament.  Just either use the "saves" directory for all of your tournaments, or you can set up your own directory, just be sure to go to the "Preference" tab and change the "Tournament File Locations" setting.  You can also set up multiple save directories if you for some reason keep tournament files peppered throughout your computer's hard drive.

_Hithere_

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 11:02:48 PM »
This formula should work for the original requested points table:
(n*(Max(r-2,0)+Max(r-4,0)+Max(r-7,0))
This would be n*(0+0+0) or 0 for 7th or greater place
n*(0+0+1) or n for 6th,
n*(0+0+2) or 2n for 5th
n*(0+0+3) or 3n for 4th
n*(0+1+4) or 5n for 3rd
n*(0+2+5) or 7n for 2nd
and n*(1+3+6) or 10n for 1st

gazmeist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 03:19:37 AM »
Hithere - that didnt quite work

You're formula results in:

n*(5+3+0) or 8n for 7th
n*(4+2+0) or 6n for 6th,
n*(3+1+0) or 4n for 5th
etc

n*(Max(2-r,0)+Max(4-r,0)+Max(7-r,0))
This would be n*(0+0+0) or 0 for 7th or greater place
n*(0+0+1) or n for 6th,
n*(0+0+2) or 2n for 5th
n*(0+0+3) or 3n for 4th
n*(0+1+4) or 5n for 3rd
n*(0+2+5) or 7n for 2nd
and n*(1+3+6) or 10n for 1st

Just a slight correction

Ramjak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 11:17:53 PM »
Hey just tried it out and it works perfect. Thanks guys, It has made my life so much easier.  This program is the best a guy can have.

And it really helps having other great guys to help in these forums as well.

_Hithere_

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 11:35:30 AM »
Sorry bout the mistake in mine, I dropped a term.

lucky you

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 02:55:07 AM »
can someone help me with formulas? I award points as follows

1st=2*players
2nd-9th=players+1-rank
10th on down=1/2 of 9th

can you help me !!!!

_Hithere_

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 05:37:18 PM »
You realize this formula gives a huge boost to first place vs 2nd, right??
As stated, a 30 person tourney would give 1st place 60 points, and 2nd place 29 points.
If this is what you really want . . .
(((n-8)/2)+(((n-8)/2)*(Max(9-r,0)/(9-r)))+Max(8-r,0)+(Max(2-r,0)*n))

should do the trick.

This starts with the first term as 1/2 of what 9th place gets.  The second term adds the other half of 9th's points in if you placed 9th or better.  The third term adds a point for each place above 9th (1 for 8th, 2 for 7th, on up to 8 for 1st.  The last term adds the big number of players boost to first place.

Note there is no provision for rounding off half points if you have an odd number of players (9th will be odd, and half of that will be some number and a half points)
Good luck

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 08:32:40 PM »
Actually, that formula gives 0 points for 9th place, and 1/2 of 8th place for 10th and above .  Here's a simpler one that does what you're looking for (you must have version 2.1 or later):

if(r==1, 2*n, if(r<10, n+1-r, (n+1-9)/2))

Psico

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 04:04:42 AM »
Hi.

Im new to this programme, and just downloaded the free trial 2 days ago, to see if we can use this for our home games.
The program is fantastic, in fact soo fantastic that im having a hard time learning all its capable of.

Im having this problem with formulas aswell. I read this thread with great interest, and tried to implement it in the programme. However when i try to insert a formula like you described, for instance: (n*(Max(r-2,0)+Max(r-4,0)+Max(r-7,0))
i see that there not enough room for it in the "points" field. I think i might be trying to enter it the wrong place, but the only place i could find this point field, is when i try to edit or create a prize. Do i have to put this formula in for each prize, or is there a way it can be aplied automaticly ?

To describe how we play:
we are from 10 to 20 players each time, and we use money prizes for the top finishers, but also use a point system to see how we score averagely.
for instance, if we are 16 players, The winner gets 15 points, nr 2 gets 14 point, nr 3 gets 13 points etc...untill finally nr 16 gets 0 points.
It would be nice to insert a formula somewhere, so if we are 18 players, it automaticly gives the winner 17 points, nr 2 16 points etc.
But there is no room for such a big formula in the "points" field under "edit prices".

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Dennis

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 09:25:20 AM »
The program allows you to award points for buying-in, rebuying, adding-on, hits (busting other players out), and as prizes.  These are all static, in that they can only be numeric amounts.  For example, you can award 3 points for buying-in to the tournament.  Or you can award 2 points for rebuying (or -2 points if you want).

There is also "Points for playing", which might not have the most apropos name, but nevertheless...  This is where you can enter formulas to award points depending on various factors, such as rank or how many players are in the tournament.  On the Game tab of the Settings page, press the Points for playing button.  There you can create and test your formula.

The formula you describe is simply: n-r
or: numberOfPlayers - rank