Author Topic: Is there a way to only count best 8 out of 16 games' scores?  (Read 5431 times)

joybulb

• View Profile
Is there a way to only count best 8 out of 16 games' scores?
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
I have a league, but in order to try to be fare to everyone who can't make all games, I wan't to count only best 8 out of 16 games played for each player.  The exact number isn't set in stone, but I'm just trying to get an idea if this kind of thing is possible.

Thanks, Ryan

Karpro

• View Profile
Re: Is there a way to only count best 8 out of 16 games' scores?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:47:33 AM »
I use the top 10 of 12 played and use this: sum(top(10, scores))  for my overall scoring, my regular formula for points for playing field and "points" for the tournament score field

poncho72

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:50:06 AM »
Where do i have to enter that function code?
Code: [Select]
sum(top(10, scores))
Poncho
============================

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:36:52 AM »
Create a Filter on the Stats tab.  You'll need to set your Tournament Score formula to an appropriate formula (if you're awarding Points for each tournament, you can probably just enter

.. as your Tournament Score formula).  Then set the Overall Score formula to

sum(top(10, scores))

poncho72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:10:45 PM »
hej!

that doesn't work.
i entered the Tournament Score Formula "Points".
ând by the Overall Scoring i entered "sum(top(6, scores))"
We played 7 Games yet. And a refresh didn't change anything.

What did i wrong?

Poncho

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:38:03 AM »
??

Should work.  You created a new filter for this?  Did you make sure the filter with your formulas was the last one selected when you closed the dialog?

poncho72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:58:28 PM »
Do i have to enter a formula by the "Points for Playing" that this could work?
Poncho

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »
Well, yes, the example we are talking about assumes you are awarding Points to your players.  The Tournament Score formula simply uses each players' Points value, and the Overall Score formula sums up the Tournament Score values.

poncho72

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 02:09:35 AM »
mmmhh, my players are getting points anyway but i didin't implement this with the formula.
 ???
Poncho

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »
You can award points by simply filling in the fields "Points for buy-in", "Points for hit", "Points for rebuy", and/or "Points for add-on".  The "Points for Playing" field is intended to provide a way to award points that require more complex analysis.  Regardless, they all end up in the same place, the player's Points field.

Once your tournament is over, you should see values in the Points column on the Players tab.  If so, then the formulas discussed should work when applied appropriately on the Stats tab, providing you've saved your tournament(s), the players in the tournament(s) are also in the database, and the Stats is configured to look in the correct place to find your saved tournaments.  That is currently configured on the Preferences tab (but will change in the next version to be a bit more intuitive).  Once you've run Stats (i.e., pressed the "Refresh Tourneys" button on the Stats tab), press the Info button to see which tournament files were found and filtered.

biggpokerfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 11:32:19 AM »
I was real excited when I saw this thread because our league we play 18 tournaments and only count the top 10 games.  So I entered:

sum(top(10, scores))

Into the Overall score formula, overall score.  It did not filter the overall points.  When I entered scores and did a test it worked for the test, but not on the league scores.  It's not a big deal cause I just use an excel sheet and upload it to google docs and link it to my league web site.  Since I export each tournament in HMTL and then upload them to my website So our members can see the points I wanted the overall scores to have the same look.

My tournament points formula is just:

log((n + 1) / r)

Now I forgot to write down what the default overall formula was before I changed it.  Corey, can you tell me the default formula?

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 02:41:14 PM »
Took me a while to find the answer, i put the formula in and nothing happened.

Then I noticed all the players points were the same, which now i see they should be

you need to add a column, i think it's called "overall score"

Then you will so what you would expect as normal, but the overall score shows you the best from whatever.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

biggpokerfan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »

Then I noticed all the players points were the same, which now i see they should be

Then you will so what you would expect as normal, but the overall score shows you the best from whatever.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Well I see what you are saying, but It gives me some kind if goofy score like 14.0432?  It's frustrating to me cause I know this software can do it, I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 06:02:24 PM »
macacanin a different thread i seen, I can confirm that yes, you want to use "overall score" for that part to filter... perhaps it was earlier in this one, but not sure. Either way, "overall score" would be what's needed to properly count the best "x out of y" games.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 06:34:34 PM »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Well I see what you are saying, but It gives me some kind if goofy score like 14.0432?  It's frustrating to me cause I know this software can do it, I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.
Preferences Tab,  Points precision,  and  Score precision, will set your decimal,      (1-exp(-average(scores))) * 100
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:48:05 PM by TIMMER »