Author Topic: Longtime user, First time formula writer  (Read 1320 times)

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
Longtime user, First time formula writer
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:08:28 AM »
OK, I am hitting a wall with my points for playing formula, so I submit to you folks, for any kid of help...

buyins + rebuys – rank

I'm looking to calculate 1 point for every player you outlast in a tournament.  I've added a single optional rebuy to my structure and would like to incorporate that into the formula, but only for rebuys that happen before a given player busts himself.  I don't know how to formulate WHEN a rebuy occurs, so I may calculate how many buyins a player outlasted, rather than how many players a player outlasted.

For example:  Jimmy plays in a tournament that has 20 players and allows a single optional rebuy.  Jimmy busts out in 18th place, but 3 other players have rebought before he busts out.  In addition, 5 other players have rebought AFTER he's already out of the tournament.  In this case, Jimmy's points should be 5 (2 for ranking 18th out of 20, plus 3 for the rebuys he outlasted), not 7 (buyins + rebuys - rank).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Longtime user, First time formula writer
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »
Unfortunately there's no way for the formula to know how many rebuys have already occurred at the time of bust-out.

There's a feature request to add a variable FirstBustOutRank to formulas which is similar, but not the same.  The issue with having the formula know how many busts occurred before a specific rebuy is that this can be expensive to compute.  The TD uses the method of recording events and constantly recomputing the tournament's state.  This gives it the ability to easily make changes to events that occurred earlier with no fear of totally screwing up the tournament state.  For example, after the tournament is over we discover we had two players mixed up and we accidentally busted them in the wrong order.  The way the TD works, you just move the bust out time of both players to the correct times and then recompute everything.  But adding in the computation of previous rebuys before a player's bust out, for every player, is likely to get expensive.  And as I said, the TD is constantly recomputing the tournament's state, so this could have an adverse affect on the performance of the application.

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
Re: Longtime user, First time formula writer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:41:29 AM »
I totally get it.  Thanks.  Bummer.