Author Topic: Alternates  (Read 1681 times)

RacingRoy

• View Profile
Alternates
« on: February 29, 2008, 05:52:08 AM »
I am currently evaluating the software and had a question about alternates.  We have a season championship with 135 players who can play in it.  We normally have 8-10 tables so you can see we can't seat everyone.  I loaded a list of all players in the database, I had to make use of the ID field so that I could keep them in order since that is how we determine who is assured of a seat and what order the alternates will come in.

The only way I have figured out how to handle this is to only add players that will be seated first, then when someone bust out add the alternates 1 by 1.  This works except that when I add players the window that comes up doesn't allow me to have it sorted by ID so I have to keep a separate list so that I know the order of the players. 

Is there something that I missed?  I would prefer to have all the players added prior to the start, then autoseat, and have the system keep up with alternates and tell me who to call and where they sit as players bust out.

Thanks

Phaze

• View Profile
Re: Alternates
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:13:52 AM »
Hi, I don't think the program supports alternates, yet. But I'm not really the one to answer your question, but I do have a question for you. If you play with alternates, and the alternates only come into play when someone gets knocked out, don't the alternates have an unfair advantage as far as getting into the money?

RacingRoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
Not sure if they do or not.  This is part of a Poker League so we are not playing for money just prizes.  I haven't seen many people that come in as alternates make it to the final table, however I haven't been involved that long either.  The come in with a chip disadvantage most of the time.

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »
In a freezeout, you would probably be taking the seat of someone who has busted so even if you are penalized the blinds for every round you missed the value of everyone's seat has increased and you didn't have to outlast anyone to get there.

In a rebuy I believe you would always get a full stack (is this correct?) in which case yes you have less than average, but the per-chip value is greater in a small stack than a big one yet you paid the same as everyone else (per chip) to get this advantage.

Usireland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »
A work around might be to get the tourney started and then add another table call it say "Alternate list" and make it the size of the number of alternates you have.  Then buy in and seat the alternates at that table in the order of which they are to be added.  I.e. 100seats available, 105 people show up, Alan was 101, Barry was 102, John was 103, Steve was 104 & Tim was 105.
Set up a new table called "Alternate list"
Add Alan (dont buy him in though)
Seat him at seat 1 on the alternate list table (drag and drop)
Add Barry (dont buy him in though)
Seat him at seat 2 on the alternate list table
etc

Now when a seat becomes available, you simply buy in alan and drag him to the table & seat which is open, you then still have your list of alternates.

I tried this just a minute ago and it does not affect the Average stack, total chips in play etc.

I hope this helps
Regards
Ian