Author Topic: Point formulas  (Read 15968 times)

coyote97

• View Profile
Point formulas
« on: August 03, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
OK, I've just started using this wonderful software.  I love it and so do all the players that I play with.  We are starting a new league tonight and I'm trying to figure out how get the software to award the points the way we would like.  Here is what we would like to do:
Points are awarded to everyone that plays.  For instance, 15 players, 1st place is worth 15 points, 2nd is 14 points etc.
Everyone in the money gets 1 point with first place getting 3 points.  Usually pay 3-4 places.
Hitmen are awarded 1 point.
Bounty for prior tourney winner is 1 point.
If anyone can help me with setting this up I would really appreciate it.  It certainly will help my credibility tonight!  LOL!! :)

MattBurlew

• View Profile
Re: Point formulas
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 03:30:13 PM »
Let's break this down:

The first part, staggered points for playing, is easy: numberOfPlayers - rank + 1 (or n - r + 1)

For 1 bonus point for making the money: add inTheMoney (or m)

For 2 more bonus points for winning: add if(r=1, 2, 0) [i.e. 2 for 1st, 0 for any other position]

For 1 point per hit: add numberOfHits (or nh)

So that makes the formula: (n - r + 1) + m + if(r=1, 2, 0) + nh

Unfortunately, there's no variable for bounty of previous winner.  You can define a prize for a bounty on a specific player and make it 1 point, but I don't think you can add the two easily.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 03:42:56 PM »
You've got it right, Matt.  Your formula takes care of everything except for the bounty on the previous winner.  To take care of that part, do exactly what you suggested, create a prize that is a bounty on the previous winner, and give it a point value of 1.  No need to give it a cash amount (set it to Non-monetary).

Each player will get the points defined in the Points for Playing.  The person who knocks out the previous winner will also win the bounty prize (of 1 point).  Key word being also.  So the player will get the sum of the Points for Playing and the bounty prize points.

coyote97

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:00:38 PM »
Thanks guys.  Excuse me for sounding ignorant.  I'm obviously not a programmer.  The formula gets typed exactly as Matt wrote it (n - r + 1) + m + if(r=1, 2, 0) + nh in the box that says points for playing?  And if we want to use the bounty on the previous winner, I will need to choose that player every time we start the tournament?

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 05:23:12 PM »
Thanks guys.  Excuse me for sounding ignorant.  I'm obviously not a programmer.  The formula gets typed exactly as Matt wrote it (n - r + 1) + m + if(r=1, 2, 0) + nh in the box that says points for playing?  And if we want to use the bounty on the previous winner, I will need to choose that player every time we start the tournament?

Yes, copy and paste into the Points for Playing formula.

And yes, you have to choose the player the bounty is on, as TD has no way of knowing who won the previous tournament.

coyote97

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 05:29:40 PM »
Thanks Matt.  Huge help.  One last question.  I pasted your formula and did the test.  It shows the first place winner earning 14 points.  Shouldn't it be 15?  12 for finishing first in a twelve person tourney and 3 bonus points for first place? 

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »
Thanks Matt.  Huge help.  One last question.  I pasted your formula and did the test.  It shows the first place winner earning 14 points.  Shouldn't it be 15?  12 for finishing first in a twelve person tourney and 3 bonus points for first place? 

Check if you have the in the money variable set to 1.

coyote97

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
I put 1 in there and now the top 3 positions are correct, but 4-12 are getting an extra point now.

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 05:48:35 PM »
I put 1 in there and now the top 3 positions are correct, but 4-12 are getting an extra point now.

That's just the way the test formula page works.  Run a test tournament to see if everything works like you want it to.

coyote97

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 06:59:45 PM »
Matt,
I just ran a couple of quick tournament tests and I think it's working how I want.  I won every time I tested it.  Can you imagine?  Thanks for the help.  As far as I'm concerned it should say hero under your name too!  Helped me out a great deal and quick too!  I owe you a drink!

coyote97

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 01:12:42 AM »
Tournament went well last night.  One small problem.  Points were awarded for a hit even if the person re-bought.  We want to award the points only when the person was knocked out completely.  How do I change the formula to do this?  Also, I had the payouts being split by percentage and had the numbers rounded to the nearest dollar.  The payout ended up being $1 more than the amount in the pot.  Any way to fix that?  Thanks again.
Dennis

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 07:45:51 PM »
The TD considers all bust-outs as bust-outs, regardless of whether or not the player buys back in.  The only way to currently work around this is to not bust the player out - instead just rebuy the player.

The software won't automatically adjust your prizes to "fit" into your prize pool, when rounding is enabled.  It can't - it couldn't possibly make a judgment call as to which prize ought to not be rounded should the prizes total to greater than the prize pool.  But you can do it yourself.  Edit the victim prize (the prize you'll be taking $1 from).  You can either check the Amount checkbox in the Override section and enter what the prize amount should be (effectively overriding what the program calculates what the prize should be), or you can enter "-1" in the Adjust by field in the Amount section, to adjust the prize amount down by $1.

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 09:05:38 PM »
The software won't automatically adjust your prizes to "fit" into your prize pool, when rounding is enabled.  It can't - it couldn't possibly make a judgment call as to which prize ought to not be rounded should the prizes total to greater than the prize pool.  But you can do it yourself.  Edit the victim prize (the prize you'll be taking $1 from).  You can either check the Amount checkbox in the Override section and enter what the prize amount should be (effectively overriding what the program calculates what the prize should be), or you can enter "-1" in the Adjust by field in the Amount section, to adjust the prize amount down by $1.

I believe you can also choose the "round down" option, then decide which place(s) will share in any leftover money.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »
Corey, for the question on bust outs, can you put a negative value for rebuys thus evening out the point gained in bust out then rebuy?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 08:01:53 AM »
If I understand you correctly, the answer would be no.  The number of rebuys can't be adjusted (without performing or undoing a rebuy).