Author Topic: Clock Problems  (Read 4958 times)

PokerPirate

• View Profile
Clock Problems
« on: February 15, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »
Ok...this is weird...

Try this as an example game and you'll see what I mean!

Set up a game...buy-in the players...seat them at their table or tables...start the tourney!

Now...bust out 2, 3 or 4 players at once with 1 person as the hitman (of course)!

I chose 3 out!

Now...Pay very close attention to your computer's system clock being the same as your clock on the TD Screen!

Mine was 2:57.01pm when I did this!!!

Now I paused the game (as I would for a moment in a real game) and went to the setting screen (F1) to adjust the rankings.

I go to the players screen...and click the button "Adjust Rankings"!

I then right click on the whoever had the lowest chip count when they busted out and then left click on "Move Joe Snuffy down (Out of Chop)"!!!

I do this to each of them in order from smallest stack knocked-out to the highest stack knocked-out.

When done I click Ok...

And...here is the problem...

Back on the players tab...each person knocked-out shows a big difference in the actual time that they were knocked-out!  It backs up the clock on some of these players by 4, 5 or even 6 minutes!

That causes a problem for us because we award bonus points to out poker league players for simultaneous knock-outs...and with the times being so far off...it is often difficult to tell who did what.

If it made them only 1 second behind the top person knocked-out...that would be Ok...but this is a "Glitch" I'd love to see fixed in the future!

Thanks,

Chuck

PS: Love your software Corey!!!  Everyone in our League is very happy with it!!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Clock Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Actually what you are seeing isn't a glitch - it is designed to work this way.  May seem a little strange, but here's the skinny:

The Adjust Rankings dialog is meant for you to be able to easily "fix" the bust-out order when you accidentally bust players out in the wrong order.  This happens a lot, and previously the only way to fix it was to undo the wrong bust-outs (and there could be many) until you get to the first wrong one, then bust the players out in the correct order.  This could be painful.

The Adjust Rankings dialog was added to make it easier.  Just click a button to move a player up or down in the rankings.  Since rankings are based entirely off of bust-out times, when you move players around in the rankings, the software has to change their bust-out times.  Now, it could have been done such that you, the user, would have to change the times manually for players you wanted to adjust, but that's nearly as painful as the old solution (of undo-ing and re-doing bust-outs).  Instead, the software adjusts the bust-outs times for you when you move a player in the rankings.

But when you move a player, what to adjust the time to?  The software has no idea (and probably the user doesn't either), so the software chooses a time halfway between the 2 players.  For example, let's say we have 4 players who busted out like this:

11:30pm Doug
11:00pm Charlie
10:30pm Bob
10:00pm Abe

Oops, we should have busted Charlie out instead of Bob.  So we move Bob up one in the rankings.  This becomes:

11:30pm Doug
11:45pm Bob
11:00pm Charlie
10:00pm Abe

One could argue that perhaps the software should have just swapped the bust-out times of Bob and Charlie, but it gets a bit more complicated when you add the fact that there can be chops.

In your case, you were moving a player to the bottom of the list, so between what 2 times was it placing the moved player?  Between the time of the chop (the first bust-out) and the start time of the tournament.

If the times are not accurate enough for you, you can always manually adjust the player's bust-out time.  There is an option to do that on the Adjust Rankings dialog.

Now after having explained all of that, it seems to me that this shouldn't be an issue for you at all, unless I am understanding you incorrectly.  If your league awards points for simultaneous knock-outs, why do you bust the players out together and then go to the Adjust Rankings dialog and separate their bust-outs?  This basically does the same thing as NOT busting them out together.  That is, it is the same as busting them out one at a time.

If you want to signify that they busted out together, yet rank them according to chip stack, you should bust them out together and then go to the Prizes tab and edit their Chop.  (The Chop dialog will display automatically when you bust players out together ONLY if there are prizes associated with the ranks they will achieve.  Otherwise, a chop is created but not displayed.)  Go to the Prizes tab and press the Chops button.  There you'll see a chop for those players (it should be a light-gray color indicating no prizes).  Edit the chop and set their appropriate ranks there.  This will still have the players busted out at the same time, yet rank them separately.

PokerPirate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:23:57 PM »
Well...Now I'm confused in a different direction.  Now you're showuing Bob being busted out at 11:45...And this should put him at the top of the list but you still have him listed second.

? ? ? ? ? ?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 02:13:32 PM »
Sorry, typo, should have been 11:15.