Author Topic: Shoot Out Template  (Read 13490 times)

big_alv77

• View Profile
Re: Shoot Out Template
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
Just a note that playersAtSameTable represents the number of players at the same table as "this" player at this time ... meaning it will change if you move players around.

Not sure if that matters to what you guys are doing or are trying to do, but just wanted to be sure that was understood.

Yes, I am with you so far, Corey.  Thanks.

In this particular case, a shootout format would not have any player movements so all players would remain at the same table until 1 player remains at that table.  (This would appear to function as a "single table tournament".)

...Here's where I am at and what I'm trying to do:

1. PlayerA busts out. TD checks to see which table PlayerA was sitting at and how many players are left at that table.
2. PlayerA's points are then awarded based on "number of players remaining at this table just before PlayerA busted out".

In the formula syntax, I have a partial #2:

assign("eventscore", switch(playersatsametable, 1, 10, 2, 7, 3, 5, 4, 3, 5, 2, 6, 1))
eventscore

...I think I'm missing an "if" statement and/or #1 from above.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:43:58 PM by big_alv77 »

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 12:55:19 AM »
Trying to award points based upon how they finish at a particular table, like a shootout but running multiple at the same time on one tournament. Assuming we turn off auto balance for this, would it be possible to have a "tablerank" variable/token to use?

Edit: *blush* now how did I miss the start of a second page to the topic?? At least it seems like we are still on the same page, big.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:59:53 AM by Magic_fubu »
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

big_alv77

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 12:49:57 AM »
TOKENS!!! I forgot about those.  A "tablerank" token is a perfect suggestion! Thanks, Magic_fubu.

I've learned how to create and use tokens in the Rounds tab and making reference to the tokens in the layouts.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to use tokens as part of a formula for points.  I do like the "tablerank" idea as this appears to be exactly what I am looking for.  I guess I'll play around with the syntax until I stumble upon something concrete.  Cheers.

big_alv77

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 02:14:19 AM »
Ok, so here's my update.  Magic_fubu's suggestion of a new "tablerank" variable/token should do the trick.  I believe this would be similar to the leagueRank variable.  I can appreciate that this suggestion may require an update to the TD software. ...If I was to try and accomplish this same functionality, I might try the following:

1. Use one of the player identifiers (ie: ID or nickname) that is not in use, and insert the Table Name or Table Number of that player manually into this field.

2. Repeat Step 1 for all players.

3. For the points for playing formula, create a "loop counter" variable which checks for "Table Name/Number" and then subtracts from a respective "Table Counter" (such as "table1count = table1count - 1") when a player busts out.

4. You then have your switch statement which references the table count of that busted player and assigns the desired value for the busted player's points.

Example: Assume 2 tables with 6 players per table. No player movements allowed (Shootout format)

Table1 has 6 players, thus, Table1Counter = 6

When PlayerA (sitting at Table 1) busts out, the points formula checks that ID = Table1 (manually entered by you before the tourney begins).  If this condition is true, then your points is determined by the following:

assign("points", switch(table1count, 1, 10, 2, 7, 3, 5, 4, 3, 5, 2, 6, 1))
then, "table1count = table1count - 1" (so, now, table1count = 5).

...now, you could have a variable for all table numbers so you don't have to repeat the formula for each table.

I think this might work, but I acknowledge that this is a VERY basic way of doing this.  A more streamlined formula is certainly appreciated and/or the "tablerank" variable suggested by Magic_fubu.  ...If others are interested in running a "Team Poker" concept (which requires the Shootout format), then perhaps there might also be a need to add all the points of teammates (using another indentifier variable to enter the TeamName of each player) and display that "teamscore" on the Rankings screen.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:18:17 AM by big_alv77 »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
The fundamental issue is that the TD software is designed for a traditional poker tournament.  The software retains [at least] as much information about a tournament such that it can compute the tournament's state at any given time.  The state includes not only the round, time, blinds, etc, but also every player's status, history, costs, winnings, points, etc.  At any given time, the software can clear out those details and use internal information about the current tournament to recompute all of those details.

In order to include something like a "table rank", it would also have to retain the position a player busted out relative to other players seated at the same table.  This is a meaningless data point in a traditional poker tournament, especially since players are moved around to balance play, and thus it isn't collected.

While it might not be a difficult thing to do, it represents a fundamental change in the software.  I'd have to study it a little bit to determine other contributing or mitigating factors.  I wouldn't want to "tweak" the software just to be able to handle a shootout-style tournament.  Instead, I'd want to be sure I understood the requirements more completely so I could modify the software such that other tournament styles would be easy to implement.

As an example, would rebuys be allowed in a shootout style tournament?  As sure as someone chimes in this discussion and says "no", someone else will later say "yes".  How is that handled?  When someone rebuys are they immediately sat at an existing table?  Or do they wait for the second round?  How does it affect their "table rank" (since they will, most likely, bust out twice)?

big_alv77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »
Hi Corey,

Thanks for your feedback.  I can certainly appreciate the efforts involved with tweaking the code.  ...In the interest of working with the existing software, I did a couple of tests over the weekend.  It turns out that only the ID field (and not the Nickname field) can be used in the points formula.  I was able to give points to all players sitting at the same table using ID as my identifier for "table name" or " table number".  The point value was the same for all players at the same table (...it's a start, I guess.)

My follow up to this test is to ask if there is a way to create a "counter" on the points formula which does not reset back to it's initial value when each player is knocked out (ie: which is when the points formula will run next)?

The idea is that the "counter" will be used for all players sitting at the same table.  When one player is eliminated, the counter will decrease by "1".  You can then execute the rest of your points formula and the eliminated player will be ranked according to his/her tablemates. ...When the next player is eliminated, assuming it's from the same table, the counter retains the value from the previous eliminated player (and does not reset to the initial value).  The same "counter" will then decrease by "1" and the points formula is executed again.  Each table can essentially have its own counter.

I hope this makes sense.  It would be a workaround to the "tablerank" variable being discussed.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
Each player's points is just another part of the overall tournament state, which is constantly recomputed.  There wouldn't be a way to add a counter that only decreases at specific times without altering the way the software handles a tournament, which goes back to what I was previously discussing.  Sorry.

big_alv77

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »
Not a problem, Corey.  Thank you for your time, efforts and continued support.