Author Topic: Sounds upload  (Read 3493 times)

Phaze

• View Profile
Sounds upload
« on: January 17, 2007, 07:45:03 AM »
I've decided to customize the sounds for touranment director and the first time I did it, I did not save it. Now I have to upload the 50 sound bytes again, and I'm thinking that there should be an easier way for the program to recognize sound files. Possibly a drag n drop feature or to load multiple files at once

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: Sounds upload
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 08:39:01 AM »
Not sure I understand the problem.

You don't "upload" sounds to the program.

Are you talking about defining new sounds and then linking them to the sound file on your computer?

Once you have defined your sounds and created the sound events you can just save the sound template and add it to any tourney.

Again, not quite sure what the problem is here.  You would have to define any new sound files with a name and action for each sound even if you could "browse" and select multiple sound files at once.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:12:52 AM »
sorry to confuse you but yes that is exactly what I mean to do....

see, the way I think it should go would be like running Windows Media player for the first time. Dictate to the program where your media files are. The program finds the files and then after that you can edit/play/do whatever you wish with them. I think its a waste of time to load each sound event. Most sounds are adequately described in the name (ie. Oneminutetogo.wav) so you don't need to put another description in for it. Now you just have to put it in an event, at your leisure.

I love the sound events, but not so sure that people that play Saturday night poker will be as enthused as me, so I plan to put an all-out sound template, to see what they think, but will probably just go with a minimum sound style. Having to put each sound into the program one by one seems to be a waste of time when you should be able to put all sounds in at once.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 09:27:20 AM »
I think I see what you mean, to skip just skip to defining a new sound step entirely, and include defining the path for the sound file in the "new sound event" properties box or something like that.  I guess then Corey would also have to separate out sounds that are not an event that occurs during the tourney from those that are associated with a hotkey (I have used the hotkey sound item a couple of times for sounds that are not "sound events" - most notable was a New Years Party where I had Auld Lang Syne song installed as a hotkey and when midnight rolled around just hit the appropriate hotkey to play the song :))

I have gone from having a medium number of sounds to paring it down.  Players seemed to find them annoying after a while.  Only sounds I now use are a few warning beeps to let me know the end of the round is coming, and end of round sound (I use ESPN guitar riff), and a song that plays about 30 seconds before the end of a break.  Most of the sounds are more important for me as the dealer than for the players.

Still hoping that Corey will implement some way to have the "paused clock" sound play repeatedly, as I still miss that the clock is paused here and there.  It wouldn't be a problem, but my laptop is so slow that when I need to bust someone out, I have to pause the clock because it can take me a while to bring up the necessary screens to bust them out and rebuy them etc).

I guess I don't mind having to go through 2 steps to make sound events, because I will never have more than 8 or 10 different events and I save these as a template and use them in other tourneys, so I never have to repeat the process.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »
I understand what you mean, but I like options. I agree with minimum sound events, maybe just better clock sounds and definitely the guitar riff. But I can foresee an informal family get together and would like to have a sound template with all the goofiest sounds possible, just for s4!t and giggles. I used to be a DJ, so that might explain my sound fixation. Its all about the options.

I'm not sure why you have to let the program know where all the sound files are. Can't the program just follow a path for the sound event? I think that is exactly what you said. Yup, it is. BTW I really liked your idea of the Auld Lang Syne. I don't use hotkey sound events because usually the computer is in one immovable spot and we are all randomly sitting at different tables (maybe need to invest in laptop so I can fully enjoy my $10 buyin saturday night tourny.... mmmm not)

Ok, lets get to the purpose of this post:

What is the purpose of loading new sounds into the program?

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:06:18 PM »
I still am trying to understand the "loading" problem, because you don't load any sounds into the program, all you are doing is defining the path to the sound (setting up a "new sound") - doesn't seem like there is a way around that.

Then you have to define when the sound is going to play (the "sound event").  All Corey has done is have 2 separate screens for the defining of the path and defining when the sound plays.

Advantage being you can do different things with a "new sound" than have it occur during a "sound event" - like use the sound for a hotkey.

Since I would like to have the flexibility of doing these 2 different things with sounds it seems like a good system to me.  I also do some more casual tourneys and use more sounds for those, I just use the same template with all my sounds and delete the ones I don't want for my more serious tourneys.

And you shouldn't need to set them up over and over.  Just set up all your sounds once, then save it as a template.  Then load the template for each tourney (even if you choose later to not use some of the sounds for that tourney, but use them for your family game or whatever).

I certainly see you interest in having fun sounds - even a bunch of them.  For bust outs, a lot of people have random sounds from a list of fun bust out sounds play.  Seems like a fun idea to me.

There are a number of posts on this forum listing many interesting sounds.  Search these and I think you will find all you want for you family fun game.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 10:59:07 AM »
The original, default sounds (which actually have not changed since version 1.x) used the same sound file for several different events.  Therefore, I initially decided it was easier to define your sounds, then choose from your list of sounds when creating events.  I still think this is a good idea.  As tandemrx mentioned, it also made implementing "hotkey sounds" very easy and straightforward.

I think a good compromise here might be a button that, instead of defining a single sound, takes a folder of sounds and allows you to define a number of sounds all at once.  I'll see what I can do.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 05:47:02 AM »
instead of defining a single sound, takes a folder of sounds and allows you to define a number of sounds all at once.

Yes, this is what I was trying to say in the first place

The way it is set up now, it takes about 20 minutes to define the path of sound files individually. If Corey's suggestion was implemented, it would take about 3 seconds (maybe 12 seconds on your slow laptops you guys were saying you used =P  ).

PPPanimal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 03:00:16 AM »
One idea i had for playing a sound during the time the clock is paused so you can't forget it is on it to simply have it play a long sound file.
Then you would need to go to sound screen and click on STOPALLSOUNDS when you turn the clock back on.
If you could put a STOPALLSOUNDS button on the main screen that would work till corey adds the feature for repeating sound files during pause.