Author Topic: Special tournament format help... Please help :)  (Read 2511 times)

sdemmy

• View Profile
Special tournament format help... Please help :)
« on: December 16, 2006, 02:09:24 PM »
My friend and I run a medium sized league for a Christian mens group.  The format is broken up into 2 separate halves.  The first has been 20 players at 4 tables, each table plays down to the final two players, those final 2 players from each table then play at the Final table in the 2nd half.  All the losing players then play at 2 consolation tables.  Both halves have different blind structures with new chip stacks. There is also point values given to playing in the event, and where you finish between the tables.  I am looking for a format which will bring both halves together, and seat the players in the final table, and the consolation tables as well, and if possible also award Pt's automatically based on their finish.  Can anyone give me some great suggestions. 

Thanks,
Scott D

britnt7

• View Profile
Re: Special tournament format help... Please help :)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:36:25 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong Corey but I don't think this is possible. TD is designed to run a whole tourney.

Tim

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 11:44:54 AM »
I'm not sure I completely understand, but...

If the losing players started a new tournament, then what you have is a modified shotgun tournament.  Then you would just continue the main tournament with the winners all seated at the final table, and the losers starting an entirely new tournament.

But it sounds as if the losers are placed back into the tournament at some point.  If this is the case, why wouldn't you just use the Rebuy feature to "rebuy" those players back into the tournament?  The rebuy could have a cost of $0.

Seating and moving those players would have to be done manually, since the TD would have no concept of winners and losers tables.

sdemmy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 10:02:38 PM »
Corey,

Let me try to clarify...  The first half of the event is designed to play down each table seperately the top 2-3 players at each of those tables will play at the final table for additional points based on their finish.  All final table players start with the same amount of chips, basically a new tournament.  All the players who did not make the final table, play on two seperate consolation tables, and also start with equal chip stacks, again basically each consolation table is a small tourney.  Points are earned as follows.. all players get 1 pt for coming to play.. all final table qualifiers get 1 extra point for placing in the final table... the fourth place finisher at the final table gets an extra point for a total of 3, 3rd place finisher gets 2 extra equaling 4 total. and so on.. first place finisher will receive 6 total points for the day.  Any player either at the final table or the consolation tables who completely run the whole table get one extra point for that.. since the league runs from 1-4 this doesn't always happen, and the winner is determined by a chip count.  I just wish to be able to keep track of all points automatically as both halves play.  Hope this makes sense.

Scott 

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 12:48:59 PM »
Sounds to me like you've got a 3 different tournaments happening: the first tournament, the "winners" tournament and the "losers" tournament.  I think you can set things up like this:

For the first tournament, set the "Points for buy-in" to 1.  That gives everyone a point simply for playing.

Give players at the "winners" tournament a "Points for playing" formula like so:

max((5 - r) + 1, 1) + if(r == 1, 1, 0)

This gives 1 point for everyone who made the "winners" table, plus 1 point for 4th, 2 points for 3rd, 3 points for 2nd, and 4 points for 1st.  This totals 6, like you described (including the first tournament).  However, you mentioned that any player that "completely run the whole table" gets an extra point.  I take this to mean whoever lasts longer than everyone else, which would mean whoever wins.  That's where the "+ if(r == 1, 1, 0)" comes in, and it awards an extra point for the top finisher.  If that isn't what you meant, just remove that part of the formula.

Give players at at the "losers" tournament a "Points for playing" formula like so:

if(r == 1, 1, 0)

This just accounts for the "running of the table".  Again, if that isn't what you meant, don't give players at this table a formula at all.  If "completely run the whole table" means something that the software doesn't "recognize" or won't know if it happens, then if it does happen, you can just go to that player on the Players tab and edit his or her points manually.

This means you'll have 3 separate tournaments for each night, which may or may not be what you really see it as, but that's the way the software will see it.  When you run stats, you should get the correct points.  If you consider the whole night as one tournament, you're averages and such will be off since the software will see each night as 3 tournaments, but that's the trade off...

dik9

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 06:33:26 PM »
Isn't that just a shootout comp?