Author Topic: Points and Overall Score Help/Clarification  (Read 2395 times)

Pakled

• View Profile
Points and Overall Score Help/Clarification
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »
I'm running a 5 tournament league to send one player to the WSOP in 2010. I have the following formulas in the following locations;
Game Tab
"Points for Playing" field
((1-(r/(n+1)))*112.50)

Stats tab
Filter
"Tournament Scoring"
log((n + 1) / r)

Stats tab
Filter
"Overall Scoring"
(1-exp(-average(scores))) * 100

I got these formulas from different places on these formus. I have also added some bonus points into the top 3 places on the prizes tab for each tournament. I see the bonus points in the summary section for the tournament but they don't seem to affect the overall score field on the stats page. This is the field we will pick our winner from. My question is this: Is there a way to get the bonus points to affect the overall score or are these two separate scoring systems all together?
Pakled - We look for things...

FourAcesPoker

• Big Slick "The Hitman"
    • View Profile
    • Four Aces Poker
Re: Points and Overall Score Help/Clarification
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »
Yeah, I believe all you need to do is this... Remove the prizes. Then, in the points for playing, make it look like this:

((1-(r/(n+1)))*112.50)+switch(r,1,#,2,#,3,#)

substitute the # for the bonus points you want. the first # is for 1st, the 2nd # for 2nd place and the 3rd # for third place.

Set the "Tournament Scoring" in your stats filter to    points
Set the "Overall Scoring" in your stats filter to      average(points)

This way whatever points you receive for the points for playing will be in your tournament scoring portion of your formula, and then the overall formula will average out those points across all played tournaments.

This should give you what you want!

Big Slick "The Hitman"
Certified Tournament Director
Tournament Directors Association
Four Aces Poker
"Can you beat Four Aces?"

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »
Points for Playing and Tournament Score are, as you noted, two separate ways of rating players.

See http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=1959.0 for a better description.

Pakled

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »
I read the other forum link and the only thing I'm not sure of is which one affects the "Overall Score"on the stats tab? Basically I like the way my current formulas work to create an overall score. I'm just not sure which formula does what. When I change the "Tournament Scoring" to equal "points" or copy and paste my "Points for Playing" formula into the "Tournament Scoring" everyone's score goes to 100 except for 10th place who ends up with 99.9964. What I was looking for was a way to add about 2 points to the "overall score" of the first place finisher, 1 point to second place, and .5 points to third place.

In our current setup for our first tournament the 10 people's overall scores were as follows:
1 - 90.9091
2 - 81.8173
3 - 72.7277
4 - 63.6363
5 - 54.5474
6 - 45.4526
7 - 36.3646
8 - 27.2761
9 - 18.1842
10 - 9.0900
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:23:54 PM by Pakled »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 03:27:04 PM »
"Points" is just another value computed per player for a tournament.  That is, if you load a tournament and view a player (on the Players tab), you'll see he has a Points value.  It will be zero unless you supply values for one of the fields that affects points, like I mentioned before.  Notice you will not see a "Score" value on the Players tab.

Scores are computed only when you run Stats.  The formula for Tournament Score is taken from the filter you use to compute your stats.  The Tournament Score value is available to the Overall Score formula.  One day I hope to add access to other values for the Overall Score formula, but for now, only the Tournament Score is available.  This means that, for now, if you want to use a player's Points value to compute their Overall Score, you'll need to set the Score to the player's Points value.

So, are you saying that you want to continue to use the same Tournament Score and Overall Score formulas, however you wish to add to a player's Overall Score for ranking 1st through 3rd in any tournament?  Thus, if a player's Overall Score would have been, say, 81.5, but they placed 1st in 2 of the 10 tournaments they played in, then their score would be 81.5 + 2 + 2 = 85.5?

If that's the case, then the answer is unfortunately no.  To do this, the Overall Score formula would need to know how many times the player ranked 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.  As it stands, only the Tournament Score formula knows this.  But if you add the points into this formula, that won't get directly translated to additional points in the Overall Score, since the Overall Score formula averages the scores (and some other math).

Pakled

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »
Ok, so what I'm getting is that bonus points in the prizes section, or anywhere else, have no effect on a player's overall score on the stats tab. In other words I don't really have a way to add extra points/score to a player for "Making the money". If that's true then that's ok. I may play with FourAces' formula to see how that would work but I have another quest what causes my scores to all go to 100 like I mentioned in my last post.