Author Topic: Long player names and the Seating Chart layout  (Read 6791 times)

Longines

• View Profile
Long player names and the Seating Chart layout
« on: September 19, 2008, 01:32:31 PM »
Hi, first post. Great software.

I have player names that are 35 characters long. I've found the "Seating Chart Screen" properties and the text font size. However, the boxes for each table appear to dynamically resize depending on the font size and a significant element of many names flow beyond the right edge of the box.

Is there any way to manually increase the width of the boxes?

Many thanks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Long player names and the Seating Chart layout
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »
The tables diagrams are a fixed width to prevent them from being different sizes.  That is, to prevent one table diagram from being wider than another because of the names of players at the tables.  There is no way currently to manually size them.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 02:11:20 AM »
Is that on a suggestion list??? along the same line, could there be an easy way to adjust table sizes to different number of players at a table... ie. have 6 player table... as is right now, when you sit 6 player to a table graphic, it still sits players as if  there are 10 players there, eliminating only the last four spots

Longines

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:30:53 AM »
The tables diagrams are a fixed width to prevent them from being different sizes.  That is, to prevent one table diagram from being wider than another because of the names of players at the tables.  There is no way currently to manually size them.

All understandable. I might suggest that the width is set to wider than the widest text requirement, even if that means a grid that is 1 table wide.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:17:18 AM »
Is that on a suggestion list??? along the same line, could there be an easy way to adjust table sizes to different number of players at a table... ie. have 6 player table... as is right now, when you sit 6 player to a table graphic, it still sits players as if  there are 10 players there, eliminating only the last four spots

What do you mean?  If you use a table image, then of course the empty seats will still show up.  If you're talking about diagram mode (the default mode), then the table lists as many seats as are at the table.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »

All understandable. I might suggest that the width is set to wider than the widest text requirement, even if that means a grid that is 1 table wide.

The problem is knowing how wide to make the table.  With proportional fonts, you can't predict exactly how wide the diagram will need to be.  A way to work around this is to allow the tables to render as wide as is necessary, and then go back and make all the tables as wide as the widest one.  That makes them all the same size, but is ugly at best (you'll also physically see the sizing change).  Currently, the software makes a guess as to how wide the tables should be and that's pretty much the end of it.  I could add an option to specify the table width manually.  Frankly, it's just a matter of eventually having too many options.  But I'll put this on the list.  With the next update, the layout options should become a little "less busy" anyway.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 11:55:44 AM »
Ok so I have a 6 person tournament and I edit the table for only 6 seats... I sit the people and they all get crammed at one side... anyway to have the seats slid over and fill out the graphic a bit better

Longines

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 11:50:10 AM »
Frankly, it's just a matter of eventually having too many options. 

Hey, I work in software development filtering enhancement requests. I feel your pain ;) I was amazed at the number of options you've included.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »
The seat elements have a location element that specifies the seat's x/y coordinates within the table image.  The software does not dynamically arrange the seating, you've got to tell it where to put the seats.  So, dropping seats 8 through 10 won't move seats 1 through 6.

The easiest thing to do, in my opinion, would probably be to remove seats on the "corners" (2, 4, 7, and 9), then renumber the remaining seats to be seats 1 through 6.

Code: [Select]
<table>
  <image>
    <path>images/RacetrackTenSeatTableLarge.gif</path>
    <size width="770" height="350" />
  </image>
  <labels>
    <font name="Tahoma" size="15" bold="true" italic="true" shadow="true" />
    <text color="white" highlightColor="white" highlightBackgroundColor="blue" />
    <size width="200" height="26" />
    <options showSeatNumber="inuse" />
    <name>
      <location x="center" y="center" />
      <size width="350" height="75" />
      <font size="40" italic="false" />
      <text color="yellow" />
    </name>
    <unavailable>
      <text color="red" />
    </unavailable>
    <seat number="1">
      <location x="395" y="0" />
    </seat>
    <seat number="2">
      <text align="right" />
      <location x="570" y="162" />
    </seat>
    <seat number="3">
      <location x="395" y="324" />
    </seat>
    <seat number="4">
      <location x="175" y="324" />
    </seat>
    <seat number="5">
      <text align="left" />
      <location x="0" y="162" />
    </seat>
    <seat number="6">
      <location x="175" y="0" />
    </seat>
  </labels>
</table>

If you don't like that positioning, you'll have to play around with the x/y coordinates of the seats to get them where you want.  You can modify the blueprint file while the Seating Chart screen is displayed.  Pressing F4 (if you've still got F4 bound to the Seating Chart screen) will cause the screen to refresh, and changes you've made will be reflected.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 07:41:26 PM »
uhhhh, thats wayyyy over my head  ;)

agromans

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 10:00:41 AM »
Phaze,

I personally changed the file that Corey is referring to and I have a couple of players that have long names.  So if you are interested I can e-mail it to you.  The file I'm speaking of is for the large oval table.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »
uhhhh, thats wayyyy over my head  ;)

That's why I included the file.  :)