Author Topic: Formula help needed, and table balancing problem.  (Read 1309 times)

Murphy

• View Profile
Formula help needed, and table balancing problem.
« on: November 10, 2010, 09:03:18 AM »
Hi all.
Just started to using TD actually, seting up everithing  before first use. And I've got two problems.

First is the part with a table balance. I've got CAP for 40 players, and 4 tables 10 max, but when I try to seat less players at 4 tables, like 28players and I want to seat them at 4 tables, 7 players at each table it's immposible. What to i need to do to seat players like this.

The second thing is the formula.
Top 9 players of each tournament at my league, gets additional points 1st place - 8 points 2nd - 6 points 3rd - 4 points, players from places 4-6 are getting 3 additional points, and players from places 7-9 2 additional points. Of course all players are geting basic points for places. The last one gets one point, and then next player gets one more point, to the last nine.

Hope I'm clear enough. And You will be able to help me.
Thx in advance.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Formula help needed, and table balancing problem.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
First is the part with a table balance. I've got CAP for 40 players, and 4 tables 10 max, but when I try to seat less players at 4 tables, like 28players and I want to seat them at 4 tables, 7 players at each table it's immposible. What to i need to do to seat players like this.

TD doesn't have a way to auto balance as it seats, but what you should be able to do is *not* seat the players and drag them into a seat if you want to have players added while keeping tables balanced. However, if you know you're going to have 40, I don't think it's a major issue (I run a league where we get usually 37-40, so I do 4 10-seat tables). As an alternative, you can let TD seat the players, let them know it's a tentative seat for the 4th table, and if you only need 3, then click on suggest movement, and collapse down a table before even starting the tournament (have had to do that once for mine).

Top 9 players of each tournament at my league, gets additional points 1st place - 8 points 2nd - 6 points 3rd - 4 points, players from places 4-6 are getting 3 additional points, and players from places 7-9 2 additional points. Of course all players are geting basic points for places. The last one gets one point, and then next player gets one more point, to the last nine.

Help on this issue will depend on how you have your points set up. Do you have your basic points set up as a formula, or as prizes?  In other words, do you have the points entered in on the Game tab (the one that displays when TD starts), or on the prizes tab?

Mike
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
The seating algorithm attempts to keep tables as balanced as possible, using as few tables as possible.  That's how tables get consolidated as players bust out.  28 players at 4 tables of 10 may technically be "balanced" at 7 players per table, but they could be seated at 3 tables (2x9 and 1x10), so that is what the software will do. 

To prevent this you really need smaller tables.  But if your tables really do have 10 seats and you want your tables on the Tables tab to accurately represent your real tables, you can instead mark some seats as Unavailable (right-click on a seat on the Tables tab and select "Mark Unavailable").  If you mark 1 seat at each of the 4 tables as unavailable, you'll effectively have 4 tables of 9 seats, which the TD will then seat 28 players at by seating 7 players at each table.  You can remove the Unavailable mark as needed (more players arrive or players bust out and you want to start seating 10 players at a table).

Sounds like you've got the basic n - r + 1 for all players, then additional points for 9th through 1st.

n - r + 1 + switch(r, 1, 8, 2, 6, 3, 4, 4, 3, 5, 3, 6, 3, 7, 2, 8, 2, 9, 2)

Murphy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »

Sounds like you've got the basic n - r + 1 for all players, then additional points for 9th through 1st.

n - r + 1 + switch(r, 1, 8, 2, 6, 3, 4, 4, 3, 5, 3, 6, 3, 7, 2, 8, 2, 9, 2)

The formula is not the thing I need but I think it's very close to the resolving the problem.
What I need is a formula that will allow me to achieve something like in this example below

Let's say that there is a tournament for 30 players. The 10th in the classification (21st busted out) gets 21 basic points. The 9th and the rest of the  players will not get one more point from the basic points for higher ranking but only additional bonus points, so the 9th player should have 23 points, 8-25, 7-27 6-30 5-33 4-36 3-40 2-46 1-54.

What should be the right formula for something like this.

Mike,
I have mine basic point set up as a formula, and not as prizes in the Prizes Tab.
Hole You will be able to help me somehow

Thanks for resolving the problem, with the tables.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:00:05 PM by Murphy »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
1st place - 8 points 2nd - 6 points 3rd - 4 points, players from places 4-6 are getting 3 additional points, and players from places 7-9 2 additional points.

OK, what you mean, if I interpret correctly, is that 9th place gets 2 more points than 10th place, 8th place gets 2 more points than 9th place, 7th place gets 2 more points than 8th place, 6th place gets 3 more points than 7th place, etc.  Right?

n - r + 1 + switch(r, 1, 24, 2, 17, 3, 12, 4, 9, 5, 7, 6, 5, 7, 3, 8, 2, 9, 1)

Murphy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »

OK, what you mean, if I interpret correctly, is that 9th place gets 2 more points than 10th place, 8th place gets 2 more points than 9th place, 7th place gets 2 more points than 8th place, 6th place gets 3 more points than 7th place, etc.  Right?

n - r + 1 + switch(r, 1, 24, 2, 17, 3, 12, 4, 9, 5, 7, 6, 5, 7, 3, 8, 2, 9, 1)

Yes, that is exactly what I've meant. And the second formula, works perfectly. Many thanks for helping me with both issues.