Author Topic: SO CONFUSED !!!!  (Read 1639 times)

candidog

• View Profile
SO CONFUSED !!!!
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »
I don't even know where to begin? Okay I've been using TD for about 8 years now. I've hosted over 22 tournaments and I want to create a rankings setup on our poker league webpage.  I was told that TD can keep track of tournament history and you can plug in a formula that will allow TD to rank all the players.  This sounds right up my alley, I'm not savvy when it comes to creating formulas and etc.  So let me describe to you what I'm trying to do and accomplish. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. 

So I have the results for all my 22 tournaments I've ever hosted.  Never before did I created any kind of formula for these tournament.  I download the latest beta version today and start playing around with the Stats tab.  I'm SO CONFUSED but I didn't let that get to me.  I assume you can create two did type of formulas.  (Formula 1) Points for the current tournament that John Doe just might have played in.  Then (Formula 2) Points for the overall tournament that John might have played. 

So I put in a simple formula which I got from the HELP section that will rank the Top 10 players with points associated to their finished and the rest of the field getting 0. (See Below)
So I created a TEST Profile and under the Scoring Section I enter the following formula
if(rank <= 10, 11 - rank, 0)

I assumed this should show me points for my top 10 players for any individual tournament.  So if I click on my Players tab and under the Column called Points, I don't see anything.  What I expected it was first place player to receive 10 points, 2nd place 9 and etc. down to 10 place which would get 1 point and the rest of the field would get 0 points.

Why is this?

I also assume under my TEST Profile under scoring; Create Overall Scores using formulas would be the total accumulative points for each player in every tournament?? Because the Tournament scores are incorrect my individual scores are not correct.

==============================================

With all that said this is what I'm looking to do.

My home game consist of 60 to 90 players.  I want to score each points for each tournament as follows:

First Place: 20 Points
Second Place: 18
Third Place: 15
Fourth Place: 13
Fifth Place: 12
Sixth Place: 11
Seventh Place: 10
Eighth Place: 9
Ninth Place: 8
Tenth: 7
Eleventh: 5
Twelfth: 5
Thirteenth: 3
Fourteenth: 2
Fifteenth: 1

Then basically the Overall Scoring would add up all these points for all my tournaments.

Can anyone help explain how to do this?  Thank You

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: SO CONFUSED !!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:43:55 PM »
What you have now, as you have seen, is allocate points for the top 10, 1 point apart. What you can do, assuming that you keep the same point structure no matter how many play, is this:

switch(r, 1, 20, 2, 18, 3, 15, 4, 13, 5, 12, 6, 11, 7, 10, 8, 9, 9, 8, 10, 7, 11, 6, 12, 5, 13, 4, 14, 3, 15, 2, 16, 1)

OR, you could get a little more complex...

if(r <=16, 17-r) + switch(r, 1, 5, 2, 3, 1)

This second one awards a max of 16 points based upon their rank, plus 1, 3, or 5 bonus points for finishing 3rd, 2nd, or 1st, respectively. Either one should suit what you're looking to do. If not, holler back, and we'll help you out more :)
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »
The Tournament Score formula creates a "Score" for each player for each tournament.  Points are a different value.  So you're looking under the wrong column.

Since the Stats tab shows cumulative results, you won't see the Score values for any player.  That's because the Scores aren't considered cumulative.  They could be, but that depends on how you combine those Scores using one of the Overall Score formulas.  As an example, players are awarded Points for each tournament depending on different factors (you could have a Points for Playing formula configured, or points as part of your Prizes).  The "Points" column you see on the Stats tab is the sum of the points the player has earned for every tournament over which stats has been computed.  Scores aren't "summed" (although I suppose they could be).  Instead, you use the Overall Score formula to combine them in some way, and the result is displayed in the Overall Score column.

If you want to see the Score values for each player, for each tournament (or any other specific value, such as Points), switch to "Single Field" view (press the View button) and select "Score".

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:49:53 PM »
Also, if you're going to use TD to keep track of stats, make sure you filter it so that you include only the tourneys that you want - which can be done by setting tourneys up to be a part of certain seasons (if you so desire). If you want to do that and need help, I'll be more than willing, but I'm going to be hosting an event tonight (So anyone in the Green Bay, Wisconsin area, come to Cliffhangers!!) and won't be able to personally help after about an hour from now until tomorrow morning
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

candidog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »
I'm still confused.

I tired this but still don't know what i'm doing.  I manually applied points to a past tournaments under the prize table.  These are fix points.  How do I get them to tally up under the stats tab?  All I see is zero points for all my players.

Greg

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
Tournaments must be saved, if so,... Stats tab,click Refresh Stats

candidog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »
Tournaments are saved.  Right now I configured 4 tournaments and they said they loaded when I refresh the tab.  But under POINTS I only see the points I allocated and I not sure what the overall score is reflecting.

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 02:36:17 PM »
Put that Formula in    Points for Playing   in the Game tab   any points in the Prizes will be extra     and those formula needs a ( + ) in front of them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:20:14 PM by TIMMER »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
To be honest I'm a little bit confused as to what it is you are trying to do.  If you're awarding points using the "Points for Playing" formula on each tournament, or through prizes on each tournament, and just want to see the sum of those points across tournaments, then as long as you configured each tournament to award those points (and that can be verified on the Players tab for each tournament) and saved the tournaments, the Stats tab should sum up those points automatically and display them in the Points column.

The Overall Score formulas and columns are for more complex requirements beyond just the simple summing, like averaging or dropping tournaments, etc.

If you're still having trouble, you can create a backup (on the Database tab - be sure to include tournaments and preferences) and send it to support@thetournamentdirector.net and I can take a look.