Author Topic: Multiple Monitors  (Read 4340 times)

benmajor

• View Profile
Multiple Monitors
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:49:59 AM »
Hi all,

I'm sorry if this has already been asked on the forum, but I did try doing a search on the topic, and since my problem is a rather specific one (I think), I thought I'd post it up.

Basically, I have just purchased an LCD projector for my games room and I want to display the TD on there. I have been using TD for over a year now, and really cannot shout its praise enough. My question is, would it be possible to show the main clock screen on the projector, while still having the config and back-end screen open on my PC monitor? For example, is it possible to either mod the software so that the clock can be displayed in another instance of a window (which I could drag over to my LCD projector), or is it possible with TD as is?

I thought I should explain my set up in case that might help. Basically, I have used the Windows Dual View options to simply extend my display onto the projector. I had tried to use nVidia Multiple Monitor support, but that means using the same resolution on both monitors (and since the native of my monitor is 1280 * 960, and the projector is 1024 * 768), so it's not really ideal.

Any help really would be appreciated. Advanced thanks :)

Ben

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: Multiple Monitors
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:17:10 AM »
Are you using the most recent version (2.5)?

You can have the tournament screen on your projector and the settings screen on your laptop if you use extended screen option in version 2.5 (see the preferences tab).

This was the biggest new addition to 2.5 (unless I am missing something in what you are looking for).

benmajor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:35:48 PM »
Hi Tander, thanks for your reply.

I checked out the extended monitor options, and for some reason moving the main screen manually doesn't display on the projector (but moving the settings window does). Any help would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply once again though,
Ben

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:29:02 AM »
Have you tried manually moving the Game Window?  And are you saying that if you move it to the "extended" display it doesn't show up?

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:07:55 PM »
I was curious on this topic, Cory, does the program interact differently to clone, single, horizontal/verticle span, and dual view or does it all work the same? I'm wondering because if he has it on clone it might not work the same as dual view, which how I'm set up and works good

benmajor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 03:08:09 AM »
Hi and thanks for your thoughts.

Basically, the projector is simply a horizontal span of my main monitor using the Windows "Extend my desktop to this monitor" setting (since the nVidia Drivers I had installed meant using the same resolution on both monitors, which I didn't want to do). For some reason, manually moving the Game Window using the setting in TD doesn't show up on the extended screen (i.e. the projector), but dragging the settings window over does! It's a very confusing set up.

I hope this might help in the troubleshooting, and wish I could help myself, but I have tried everything I can think of.

Thanks,
Ben

DragonII

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 05:36:26 AM »
All i do beföre i start the pc, turn on both monitor/projector, then turn on pc and wait until done booting.
Start TD, go to preferences, click on extended screen, new window appear, click on move to extended, then back to main, then again on extended. Done. (that are basically on td 2.5 b2, and havent tested on the final release yet)

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 10:46:44 AM »
The way I see horizontal span is that you have two monitors acting as one. The way I see the TD working is that it searches for second monitor. It might think you only have the one monitor going. Try changing the settings to dualview and see if that helps.

I just switched to horizontal span and it made both screen into one big background that I could not move properly, even with Dragon's advice. Everything locks into place when I have Dualview as my nView display mode selected. Maybe try that and see if it helps. If you need help, let me know and I'll give detailed instructions.

benmajor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
Hi Phaze,

Thanks for the advice. I had originally tried DualView, but for some very odd reason, my nVidia drivers seem to put random lines across the projected image. However, having played around with the driver, I have managed to resolve the issue, and now I have the settings open in one window, and the actual game screen projected onto the wall. My sincere thanks for all of the advice that I have received on the matter.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Ben
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 01:32:00 PM by benmajor »

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 02:35:18 PM »
just out of personal curiousity, you don't mention whether you are using it in horizontal span or dual view right now, only that you worked out the  drivers. Are you using TD in horizontal span or dual view?

benmajor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 04:18:44 PM »
Sorry, I did mean to add that to my post, but it slipped my mind. I switched to DualView using nVidia options, and everything worked out OK :)

Thanks again for great software!
Ben

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 04:22:41 PM »
cool, thanks! and happy pokering