Author Topic: RE: Not accounting for stats, etc. for a non-league player in a league game  (Read 3109 times)

DaveBullets

• View Profile
I run a league tournament.  Every so often, someone who's not part of the league wants to play but does not want to be affiliated with the league.

My question is:  Is it possible to allow the the non-league participant to participate, but his rank or position in the game does not affect the stats, overall score, hits, etc. of the league game.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I don't think so - but you'll have to be more specific.  Are you saying, for example, that if you hold a tournament where 1 player isn't in the league, and that player takes 2nd place, that the 3rd place player actually ranks 2nd, and the 4th place player actually ranks 3rd, etc?

DaveBullets

• View Profile
Yes, that is exactly what I meant.  The placement of that player and his performance is non-existent (not-tracked).  Since he's not in the league, he's not accounted for. 

Would inputing "none" for the non-participating player while the other players have the name of the league inputed for the League field solve this issue?

or could something else be done?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you even buy this player into the tournament (in TD)?

I must be missing something, because it doesn't really make sense to me.  You can add this player to the tournament without adding him to the database - that will prevent stats from being collected on the player.  Or you can have the player be part of the database, but not added to the league in particular.  You could then set your filter to filter on league, and that would prevent the player from being displayed in the stats.

But - if the player plays in the tournament, then he isn't "non-existent".  If he takes 2nd place, he takes 2nd place.  Are you saying that if he DOES take 2nd place, and your tournament pays out top 3 places, that he doesn't win anything?  1st place gets 1st place prize, 3rd place gets second place prize, and 4th place gets 3rd place prize?  Why would he even play?

Or are you saying that yes, he does get 2nd place and 2nd place prize, but for the purpose of statistics, since 3rd place was a league player but 2nd place wasn't, 3rd place gets ranked 2nd for stats collection, 4th gets ranked 3rd, etc?  I can *sort of* understand this, but it still isn't right, in my mind.  3rd place didn't get 2nd place.  You are artificially "improving" the play of all of the players that the non-league player beat.

DaveBullets

• View Profile
I apologize for the confusion.  I think it's best to just not let the non-league participant play.  As you mentioned it throws off the rankings, and "isn't right" to have the 3rd place league player be 2nd when he is actually 3rd.  Thanks for helping me realize that this just isn't possible. 

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
In case you were not aware, there is now a Points for Playing variable "leagueRank" which ranks a player relative to other players in the tournament who are in the tournament's league.  So, in my previous example if the non-league player takes 2nd place, the 3rd place player will rank 3rd but have a leagueRank of 2.  This may help you rank league players relative to each other without affecting overall ranking, etc.

brunobus

• View Profile
My guess is that Dave is looking for a way for the player who took 2nd who is not in the league to not get any points for playing and the person who takes 3rd that is in the league to get points as if he took second place.

Dave, I don't see an easy way to do that other than adjusting the ranks after the tournament is over.  You adjust the guy in 2nd's rank so he ends up in last place and that should bump everyone else up and then you'll have to do some manual adjustments to the winnings.

I have run into basically the same thing in my league where a player has been banned from the remainder of the season mid-way through because of rules I have regarding cancellations and no-shows.  I don't want him to show up as having points and I since he "doesn't exist" anymore, I want all the points adjusted for the tournaments he already played in.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Actually, that is exactly where the "leagueRank" variable would help.  Using it instead of "rank" would allow you to award points to league players and none to non-league players.

DaveBullets

• View Profile
Thanks for the great suggestions. 

Corey:  So the non-league participant player who ranks 3rd utilizing the leagueRank variable will not affect the stats for that particular league game?  That means the 4th place league participant finisher will than be 3rd?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not exactly.  A player ranks what a player ranks - that is unaffected by league membership.

So, as in the previous example, all players belong to the league except for 1 player, and that 1 player takes 2nd place.  The ranks will still be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc - that is unaffected by league membership.  In the Points for Playing formula (or the Tournament Scoring formula), the 2nd place player will have a rank of 2 (meaning the "rank" variable will be "2").

However, the "leagueRank" variable will be 0 for the 2nd place player, because he/she does not belong to the league.  The "leagueRank" variable will be 1 for the 1st place player, 0 for the 2nd place player, 2 for the 3rd place player, 3 for the 4th place player, etc.

This ranks league players against each other, AS IF the non-league players were not actually in the tournament.

DaveBullets

• View Profile
Thanks Corey.