Author Topic: Multi-Character Search When Adding Players  (Read 1897 times)

pdxsean

• View Profile
Multi-Character Search When Adding Players
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:54:27 PM »
The biggest slow-down I run into with TD is the inability to enter more than one character when entering in new players.  If I want to add John Smith, for example, I can only hit "J" and then have to scroll manually through all the J names to get to Mr. Smith.  Is there any possibility that a more advanced search function could be implemented with the add player function, for example being able to type "JOH" and have it jump to the Johns?

BTW the addition of the last name sorting field in a recent update did help with this issue, but being able to type in more than one character would still vastly speed up the process.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Character Search When Adding Players
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
This is only an issue for those people having large player lists, so yes, of course technically possible, but not sure how high it will rank on the to-do list.  I'll have to see how difficult the work will be.  Luckily all of the dialogs share the same code for accomplishing this...

evanfarrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
We've got the same problem. We run a poker club with 1000s of names in our player database accumulated throughout the years and run games daily. Every time we struggle to start the tournament on time because of the lack of this multi-character search function which results in the line of upset players who sometimes wait for up to 30-40min to register. Not only do we need to find their name among 50-100 "Marks" or "Michaels", we also need to collect the entry fee and give change and with 30-50 players coming at the last minute to register, this is becoming a frustrating daily experience both for staff and customers. Adding this simple feature would make a registration process so much faster and easier!

I am actually speaking on behalf of several such clubs in our city that all have the same issue. Everything else works great and we love it!

Thank you for listening!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »
Sorry I didn't follow-up.  I actually added this already, and it will be in 3.0.1 (or whatever the next version will be).  I'm trying to finish the user manual updates for the first update to 3.0.

evanfarrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:46:30 PM »
Great! Thanks a lot!! Is there an approximate release date?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:58:55 PM by evanfarrell »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
As soon as I can finish the user manual.  For someone like me, that's slow and painful.  I'd rather clean out my cat's litter box than write documentation.  If it drags out too long I might release the next version with the user manual partially completed, but I'd really rather get it done.