Author Topic: Suggestion on how give points  (Read 3042 times)

mtguido

• View Profile
Suggestion on how give points
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
Hello, i have a weekly tournament and first  time i gave points in this way:

first: 10 poits, second: 9 points, third: 8 points....,10th: 1 point

Plus one point on each buy-in

The tournament mode have not rebuy,add-on or bounty.

It is a good way to give points or there is a way better?

If i have to change how can I edit points of my first tournament?

P.s. How is calculated the overall total?

Regards
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:59:13 PM by mtguido »

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Suggestion on how give points
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:06:24 AM »
Seems like you're doing the basic "one more point than the person before you" method, which in the points for playing box in the game tab, you will want to enter n-r+1

Point for buy-in, you can put in the box, as I do for mine - Mine is also a freezeout (no addon/rebuy).

For overall total, you will need to create a "filter", where you may want to have a season as well. The season will group similar tourneys together, of sorts, so that when you run the stats filter, it will look for tournaments with that season setting. I've attached a sample tourney so you can see what I'm talking about, too, for this. Our league also awards points to the top ten, based upon the number of players that started, so my points for playing box will look very messy.

Is there a better way? Depends. Do you run many tournaments in a season? How volatile do you want rankings? (how much do you want a bad night to hurt a player's ranking)  I'm sure there are other questions that you could ask yourself, and everyone would answer them differently. What we have for our league is what works for us - depending on the season, an average of 25-45 players each Tuesday.

Again, below is a tournament to show how my tournament settings are. It's from the first week of the current season.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

CigarDan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »
My tournaments use a sliding scale for points, making 1st in a 7 person game worth less than 1st in a 10 person game by a bigger than 3 point margin. My players like the added reward of placing higher in larger games.

and to boot there are negative points awarded for finishing dead last. Only players with a positive total can play in the season final, thus making it a bit more competitive in the early stages because no one wants to be out first.

If you'd like, i can post my point scale ( it's in an excel file) to give you an idea of another possible way to do things

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:33:06 AM »
Hey Cigar, I know I would be interested in seeing it... Always looking at how others do it for when i go full blown in my own.... I know the league i help with now, I don't agree 100% with the points or other things, but i digress....

Mike
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

CigarDan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
Ok here it is.

Just some background on my league, I have 19 players thus far, on a given night I have an average turnout of 12 of those players. My location's table space limits me to 17 people playing at any given time (had to seat alternates once) so that's why my scale only goes up to a 17 player game. As long as your league doesn't run 40+ person games, given a day or two I could expand this scale if you'd like.

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
Hello, i have a weekly tournament and first  time i gave points in this way:

first: 10 poits, second: 9 points, third: 8 points....,10th: 1 point

Plus one point on each buy-in

The tournament mode have not rebuy,add-on or bounty.

It is a good way to give points or there is a way better?

If i have to change how can I edit points of my first tournament?

P.s. How is calculated the overall total?

Regards

First, I wouldn't change points systems in the middle of a league.  If you already gave them out for the first game that way, I'd keep those points as awarded.

Secondly, I think that's a fine system for doling out points, but know that it makes each place in your tournament very valuable.  If I were playing in a point system done that way, I'd try to work my way up the points and not go out early.  I wouldn't be playing for the top spots as aggressively as they are not worth that many more points than the middle positions.  Consistency is rewarded here, not a few lucky finishes in the money positions.  I would expect to see tighter, less-risky play based on these points.  If that's what you're looking to reward, congratulations!

However, if you're looking for a more traditional reward system (assuming one table), typically the first place is given 50% of the award; second place, 30%; and third place, 20% (the "award" in this case being the prize pool).  I tend to like that reward system more than a flatter system as it gives incentive for folks to play their hardest to gain the top spots.  Traditionally (assuming, again 10 players), I'd break out the top three (typically in-the-money positions) with the heavier points, and dole out the remaining (out-of-the-money) positions linearly.  For my system I'd end up with something like:

1st: 50 pts
2nd: 30 pts
3rd: 20 pts
4th: 19 pts
5th: 16 pts
6th: 13 pts
7th: 10 pts
8th: 7 pts
9th: 4 pts
10th: 1 pt

The real answer is that it's completely arbitrary and you can't "do it wrong."  You're only trying to reward certain types of performance and behavior and your system is going to have that influence.

I would think changing awarded points after the fact would be wrong, however, as your players (I assume) modified their play style based on how you gave out points.  It's not fair to arbitrarily change points after they've already played the game.

Good luck!

CigarDan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »

I would think changing awarded points after the fact would be wrong, however, as your players (I assume) modified their play style based on how you gave out points.  It's not fair to arbitrarily change points after they've already played the game.

Good luck!

I couldn't agree more, unless your WHOLE league agrees to a change (and it would also have to be retroactive making you go back through already completed games and implementing the new system) mid-season then it is best to save changes for between seasons.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
I know with our league, it's ran roughly 50-50 between myself and one other person, and our seasons run roughly a quarter of the year at a time (present one started 1st Tuesday in November, last point night is last Tuesday in February, with Finals on March 6). Any rule/point changes that we make we have take effect for the first week of the next session. But we do give fair warning so that they know as well.
---