Author Topic: Realtime updates  (Read 5009 times)

mikiewendy

• View Profile
Realtime updates
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
I believe I have mentioned this before and I don't want to slow down your latest release but....

I currently have a windows script i run that on every bustout it exports the players on the players tab to a csv file.  That file is sent to my website and processed to provide realtime updates for tournament results.  Anyway, I have a two main problems with my setup.

First, I keep track of who eliminates who.  The software has no way of exporting the ID associated with the hitman.  (I have mentioned this in the past and I believe it is on your list).  I get around it by putting the ID in the nickname field which causes confusion with players that see that number and are confused by it.  I prefer the ID since I can tie it to the ID associated with the playerID on my site.

Second, the script is hit or miss depending on screen issues. I would LOVE a built in function that would allow exporting tournament info similar to the autosave.  I would prefer to just be able to export the entire tournament using one of the predefined export formats but the export tournament button is greyed out until the tournament has ended.

Thanks again!  Keep up the good work.  Being a parent myself I understand the extra demand it takes to manage work, family, and personal projects such as this.  Being a software guy myself I would be happy to volunteer some of my time to help out with debugging and code.  Not sure if you remember, I am the one that made some bounty changes to your code before it was locked down.

Mike

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Realtime updates
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »
I believe I have mentioned this before and I don't want to slow down your latest release but....

I know it's been slow going, but there has been a lot of infrastructure work that I've had to do to support it, and I've had to go back and port some new code to older versions to support licensing changes.  While it may look like nothing has happened for some time, I've actually been pretty constantly hard at work.

The latest version is definitely locked-down tight at this point.  I could keep working on it forever, but at some point you have to say enough is enough and draw a line, and release it, then move on.  As a software guy, I'm sure you understand what I  mean.  There are numerous features I wanted to have in it but had to postpone.  On the other hand, I did go ahead after lockdown and add one final bit, as I thought it would be hugely beneficial, and that's the ability to automatically "patch" the software.  This is similar to Windows automatic updates, but on a much smaller scale.  New features, etc, will always be slated for a new release, but with the patch feature I can fix bugs and publish the fix, and the software will automatically download and install the fix.

I currently have a windows script i run that on every bustout it exports the players on the players tab to a csv file.  That file is sent to my website and processed to provide realtime updates for tournament results.  Anyway, I have a two main problems with my setup.

First, I keep track of who eliminates who.  The software has no way of exporting the ID associated with the hitman.  (I have mentioned this in the past and I believe it is on your list).  I get around it by putting the ID in the nickname field which causes confusion with players that see that number and are confused by it.  I prefer the ID since I can tie it to the ID associated with the playerID on my site.

Second, the script is hit or miss depending on screen issues. I would LOVE a built in function that would allow exporting tournament info similar to the autosave.  I would prefer to just be able to export the entire tournament using one of the predefined export formats but the export tournament button is greyed out until the tournament has ended.

We have definitely talked about this before, but I'm just too lazy to find the old thread.  The feature I added is "Status Updates", that exports data to a file or sends it to a URL automatically at defined intervals.  This is all current tournament information.  It doesn't have data about specific events.  And it doesn't include detailed player information.  That could be added, however.  But unfortunately not for this next release.  There are a couple of things I could do, like add a new export (from the Game tab) that includes players and their hitman, using player IDs.  And make the Status Updates use an export format instead of the built-in format.  Or add player information to the built-in format.

The ability to export the tournament before it has ended is definitely on the "to-do" list. 

Thanks again!  Keep up the good work.  Being a parent myself I understand the extra demand it takes to manage work, family, and personal projects such as this.  Being a software guy myself I would be happy to volunteer some of my time to help out with debugging and code.  Not sure if you remember, I am the one that made some bounty changes to your code before it was locked down.

I'm interested to hear what you think would be best.  And after the next version [finally] goes out, I'd be happy to have help testing any changes to support this.

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:12:37 PM »
I've found mikiewendy's posts on using AutoHotKey (and his attached script) to accomplish a similar goal (TD3).  I run into the same screen issues which makes it somewhat problematic, though I appreciate everything mikiewendy and Corey have done to make even such a work-around possible.

It would be wonderful to have the ability to perform an export (player export most likely, though I can see value in a database or tournament / tournament summary export as well) as a triggered event.  I generate html exports which I then display in a browser instance on a separate monitor.  These exports contain things like league points, so I can generate up-to-the minute point values (only intra-tournament through the player export, it'd be truly wonderful if I could accomplish the same through a database summary!).

Anyway, just doing my part to make this a less exotic request.

Thanks folks.

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:33:05 PM »
For me it would work best if TD would update a database file (MS Access) which then TD would automatically upload via FTP to my webserver. From that point it would be easy to creat an ASP page that query the MS Access database.

Chuck

candidog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »
Love to see this happen.  I can create a Live Update page on my website. 

Please make this happen !!!

Greg