Author Topic: Automatic seating of players at buy-in  (Read 2356 times)

bylars

• View Profile
Automatic seating of players at buy-in
« on: November 02, 2007, 11:01:21 PM »
I'm playing around with the automatically seating of players at buy-in, and in the help file it states that "Table balancing" is not considered at this time.  This is true when buying in a player from the 'players' tab, but not when using ctrl-a on the pre-tournament page.  I'm I missing something, or is it not supposed to work from the pre-tournament page?

Bojan1983

• View Profile
Re: Automatic seating of players at buy-in
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »
Yeah, how to set that at the buyin player get automaticly random seat number...
Proud owner of TD licence :)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:03:46 AM »
It is true always.  To use the "Auto-seat at buy-in" feature, you've got to have tables already configured.  Because you buy players into the tournament one at a time (or more than one at a time), the TD doesn't know how many players you will eventually have in the tournament.  In order to properly balance players, the TD needs to know how many players you have and how many tables and seats you have.  Without that knowledge, balanced tables can't be achieved.

Consider this: there are 2 things that can be done in order to randomly seat players as they buy-in.

1) Begin filling up one table at a time.  When you fill up a table, move to 2 tables.  Etcetera.  This is not random, even if you seat all the players at table 1 "randomly" and all of the players at table 2 "randomly".  The first 10 players (if you have 10-seat tables) to buy-in will all be at table 1.  The second 10 players to buy-in will all be at table 2.  Again, not random.  Furthermore, if you end up with, say 15 players, you'll have 10 at table 1 and 5 at table 2.  This will still require a balance.

2) Seat players randomly throughout all of your tables (as they buy-in).  This requires only that you have an upper-limit on the number of players that will be in attendance (or that you simply have only so many tables).  If you have 5 tables of 10 seats, then you know you're not going to have more than 50 players.  If only 30 show up, you'll have to balance tables after everyone buys-in.  THIS is how the TD behaves if you "Auto-seat at buy-in".

Oh, there is a 3rd:  You know exactly who will show up, and therefore you CAN achieve a perfect random seating.  In this case, don't bother with the auto-seat at buy-in.  Either buy everyone in before-hand, seat everyone, then use the "Paid in Full" feature when people actually pay to buy-in.  Or, allow players not bought-in to the tournament to be seated.  Add everyone to the tournament, seat them, and then buy them in as they show up and actually pay.

bylars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:26:02 AM »
It works fine from the players tab.  From the Pre-tournament screen, when I use ctrl-a to add a player, it keeps bringing up the dialog box about the tables being unbalanced, along with the blinking green warning of the tables being unbalanced.  I can live with using the players tab, but would prefer to be able to do it from the Pre-tournament screen, without having to close the unbalanced table dialog each time I add a player.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 11:15:35 AM »
Ah-ha - I see what you are saying now.  This is most definitely a bug.  It should not show you a balance suggestion at this time.

The Status Message about tables not being balanced will continue to display, and the unbalanced tables icon will also show, but the balance suggestion will go away.  Thanks for reporting this.

bylars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »
Cool.  ;D