Author Topic: Suggestion - table collapse  (Read 9613 times)

Crimson

• View Profile
Suggestion - table collapse
« on: September 02, 2006, 02:03:37 AM »
Hi Corey,

Still loving this software, especially the 2.2 updates and bug fixes. My suggestion is minor and I think it would have global appeal. When the tables are unbalanced and a table is unseated and moved, could you make it either an option or default to collapse the last table in the list, moving players up and up until the final table? Two weeks ago I was running on 4 tables, the 4th being one that I threw together at the last minute with plastic chairs and whatnot, and an elimination collapsed my nice dining room table and moved players to the other tables, when this 4th table is the one I wanted to go.

Of course I know that I can always decline the seat adjustment, unseat the table manually, and re-suggest seating.

This is a testament to how awesome this program is that I have to suggest something so minor. :P

Zaphod

• View Profile
Re: Suggestion - table collapse
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 03:56:46 PM »
I second this corey,

We have a nice "Final Table" and would love to be able to "reserve" this table throughout the tourney

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 04:25:41 PM »
Does the designation of a final table not satisfy this?  If you designate a final table, the software will make sure your players end up on it, and will always try to keep that table filled.

PaulAnderson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:34:49 PM »
I think what he's saying is that he wants to have the option to have the tables collapse 4,3,2,Final Table or beable to set the tables to collapse the way you choose like 3,4,2,Final. I too would like this option.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:37:03 PM by PaulAnderson »

Zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 07:36:45 AM »
Yes it does,

I rest my case, and hereby give you the status of "solid"

Crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 05:20:02 PM »
Yep, that's what I meant. Currently if I have Final Table (1), table 2, and table 3... when I have enough players for 2 tables I want table 3 to be collapsed, but if table 2 loses more people then the remaining table 2 players get assigned to table 3 and 1. Instead, I'd like to have some sort of sorting option where I can designate that I want table 3 to be collapsed first (and etc for more tables).

hawklight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 11:28:03 AM »
If the tables are uneven - then the software pick the most eligible table to collapse - which of course is fine.

I think, Corey, the issue issue they are getting at is selecting a table may be a valid thing to do when there is more than one table that is eligible to be collapsed - i.e. you have 6 seats "open" across tables 1,2, 3, and 4 and both table 5 and table 6 have 6 players each - in which case the software maybe could ask which table to choose from the eligible tables (however many), rather than choosing table 6 automatically.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 12:06:40 PM »
I understand, and I will definitely put this on the to-do list, but here's the thing:  when a table is chosen for collapse, it is actually rarely "random".  The software definitely intends to do it randomly, but the main goal is to minimize player movement.  So, when it looks for a table to collapse, it first looks for the table that is most eligible, as in the table with the fewest players sitting at it.  This will mean that as few players as possible have to physically get up and move.  Most of the time this list does not include all of the available tables (which means that many times the table you would like to next be collapsed won't qualify as a table that should be collapsed).

Now that I've gone through this more in my head, and written out a lengthly explanation of table balancing (which I deleted because, believe me, no one really wants to read that crap), here's what I think can feasibly happen:

- Allow a table elimination order to be specified
- If an order has been specified, then when a table can be collapsed, we go through the ordering and eliminate the first table in that list that is still in use and qualifies (tables can be of differing sizes, so it is possible that eliminating a particular table might not balance things)
- If an order has not been specified, do what is currently done, which is minimize player movement

It's "on the list"....

korinkinchen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 03:06:24 PM »
What I did was simply changed the table number at the time of movement so if a table 2 was scheduled to move players we changed it to table 3 and the collapsed table is now 2.  Keeping players moving toward the physically predetermined location.

britnt7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 10:58:05 AM »
- Allow a table elimination order to be specified
- If an order has been specified, then when a table can be collapsed, we go through the ordering and eliminate the first table in that list that is still in use and qualifies (tables can be of differing sizes, so it is possible that eliminating a particular table might not balance things)
- If an order has not been specified, do what is currently done, which is minimize player movement

It's "on the list"....

This would be a great addition. Keep up the great work Corey.

theHammer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »
Does the designation of a final table not satisfy this?  If you designate a final table, the software will make sure your players end up on it, and will always try to keep that table filled.

I'm probably looking right past it -- but how exactly do I designate a certain table as the Final Table?

hawklight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 04:59:58 PM »
Right-click on the table u want as the final table and the option to "designate as final table" is on the menu that pops up.

theHammer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 08:59:26 PM »
 ;)  Well whaddayaknow?!!  There it is!  Thanks, dude..!

hawklight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 04:12:54 AM »
 :)

Crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 05:38:17 PM »
Yeah, I personally do not mind moving more players if it means they get to sit at a better table. Maybe some people have multiple tables of the same quality, but I have a really nice table, then my dining room table, and the others are "temporary" tables that are neither large nor really comfortable, so I want the players off of them as soon as possible and up to the nicer tables.

Thanks very much for doing this. Awaiting the update! :D