Author Topic: TD3 freezing and giving random errors  (Read 3159 times)

Linker_Split

• View Profile
TD3 freezing and giving random errors
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:22:31 PM »
Hi Coorey,
we have a big problema with TD3: usually every 20 minutes it does not allow me to take any action giving errors on the screen, and sometimes I cannot even close with the normal exit button that still gives me error.
The sometimes when trying to add a new player, it freezes or gives me errors.
I updated it to version 3.4.3 but still the same problems.
any thoughts about it?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TD3 freezing and giving random errors
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »
Of course I can't say for certain, but it sounds like the same problem: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5326.0

And it sounds like the changes I made did not help your situation.  I can't imagine what might be happening that would cause the application to freeze every 20 minutes.  Is someone actually doing something with the TD during that time, or is it just idle, counting down the tournament?  If it's just running the tournament (with no one buying in, busting out, etc, or making any config changes), I'd love to get a backup of your environment and tournament so I can try to reproduce it.  When I run the TD, if I leave it to do its thing (just count down), I could run it literally for days on end.  Even with Internet Explorer 11, with its memory leaks, it would not be a problem to leave it running for probably weeks at a time.

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
On one of my machines running the latest TD, the screen transitions were turned off but each screen would be on screen 7-12 seconds. TD would be over 1000MB in RAM used after a bit and I would either get a "out of memery" error message or a black screen and TD would freeze. I changed my layout so that only one screen was displayed (with flash animation) and I am on several days with TD running no higher than 300MB

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »
Of course I can't say for certain, but it sounds like the same problem: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5326.0

And it sounds like the changes I made did not help your situation.  I can't imagine what might be happening that would cause the application to freeze every 20 minutes.  Is someone actually doing something with the TD during that time, or is it just idle, counting down the tournament?  If it's just running the tournament (with no one buying in, busting out, etc, or making any config changes), I'd love to get a backup of your environment and tournament so I can try to reproduce it.  When I run the TD, if I leave it to do its thing (just count down), I could run it literally for days on end.  Even with Internet Explorer 11, with its memory leaks, it would not be a problem to leave it running for probably weeks at a time.
Hi Coorey,
we have two instances of TD3 open, one for tournament and one for cash game, and suddendly it gives me the out of memory error (nearly every 20 minutes). We perform all the normal tasks with them (buy-in players, seating, balancing etc)
Even with only one instance of TD3 open, it still gives the same problem.
We do not have any IE open apart from the TD3s

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »
Two instances would be two completely separate processes, so it won't matter if you have one open, or five open, or any number of IE instances.  Each is independent.

It seems clear that something is happening with regularity in order for it to be ultimately consuming all of its available memory every 20 minutes.  Can you take a backup of your TD stuff and send it to me (support@thetournamentdirector.net)?

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »
Two instances would be two completely separate processes, so it won't matter if you have one open, or five open, or any number of IE instances.  Each is independent.

It seems clear that something is happening with regularity in order for it to be ultimately consuming all of its available memory every 20 minutes.  Can you take a backup of your TD stuff and send it to me (support@thetournamentdirector.net)?
Hi Coorey,
by backup you mean which folders and files?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »
Database tab -> Backup button -> select everything

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »
Hi Coorey,
did you have time to look into the files I sent you?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 02:31:16 PM »
Some, in a couple of sessions, but I've not really come to any conclusions.  Other than I suspect the simple size of your DB could be an issue.  When you add players from the DB, the entire list is rendered (thousands of players).  Buy in 100 players, one at a time, and that list of 1000s is displayed 100 times.  This should not be a problem, but we're talking about Internet Explorer here.  I imagine that's exploiting an IE memory leak.

BrianKristiansen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 02:14:17 PM »
Hi Coorey,
we have a big problema with TD3: usually every 20 minutes it does not allow me to take any action giving errors on the screen, and sometimes I cannot even close with the normal exit button that still gives me error.
The sometimes when trying to add a new player, it freezes or gives me errors.
I updated it to version 3.4.3 but still the same problems.
any thoughts about it?

I have almost the same problem - freeze all the time - i just bought a brand new computer 1 month ago, and expected that to solve the problem - but it just got worse :-(

Today it has froze 20 times, and the tournament has only lasted for 4 hours - i have made a back up like you askede the other guy - its 635 mb big - how and where to send ?

BrianKristiansen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 12:01:29 AM »
no answer ?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 10:18:48 PM »
I think the issue is likely to be the same as I previously mentioned: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5326.0

While I'm still looking for ways that could cause a memory leak (or cause an IE 11 memory leak to be an issue), I'm mostly working on moving the application to a new framework.  One that will hopefully not have the same leaks, and one that will allow me to better analyze leaks in the TD application itself.  This is where I am currently focused.

BrianKristiansen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »
I send you the files 3-4 weeks ago, did you look it through ?

"i have made a back up like you askede the other guy - its 635 mb big"

We are running windows 10 and newest version of TD.

So am i understanding it right, that with that combination, there is no chance for TD to run with out breakdowns all the time (every turnament) or ?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 11:52:59 PM »
No, I have not looked through it. While there are many who are having issues with memory, the vast majority are not.   I am currently focused on moving the application to a new framework.  I feel this is the best way forward for everyone.  If, in the meantime, I am able to find places in the current version that I can change that will have a positive effect on memory issues, I will absolutely follow through with that and release a fix.  But as of now, I have not been able to find any.

>> So am i understanding it right, that with that combination, there is no chance for TD to run with out breakdowns all the time (every turnament) or ?

No, that is not correct.  As I said, the vast majority of users are not having this issue.  So there is every chance that running a tournament will not result in a breakdown.  Some are having this issue, and I wish that were not the case, and I will do everything I am able to do to prevent it.  As I said, right now I think the best course is to continue to port the software to a new framework.  And that is where I am focusing my efforts.

Mesnik44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
I'm now in that group of TD3 freezing.

Last 3 tournaments over the last 3 months and the program is freezing constantly and requiring me to shut it down and restart. This has to happen at least 6 times in a 5 hour tournament :(