Author Topic: New User needs help (BAD)  (Read 4096 times)

RCPoker

• View Profile
New User needs help (BAD)
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »
Okay I love TD. My players do too, but I know Im not using it to its fullest potential. I run a player of the year ranking system in which the top 10 players in the tournaments receive points based on how they finish 1st=10 points, 2nd=9 points, and so on. I cant use the default n-r+1 formula because sometimes I play with 20 players and using that formula would give everyone points. Unless I can manually put points in within the database to keep records of the players, I have no idea how to do that. I go to database and it wont let me edit player points or anything, however, if I go to the players tab, I can strictly for that tournament.

Also Im trying to change the layout and it will not allow me to change anything except for the title and descritption. How did you guys do it. I click edit properties (say on round for example) and it will not allow me to edit font, width, etc. I know I am probably doing this incorrectly.

Additionally, I love Bills layout but I know I can not do that. Im one of those people that need a step by step instruction guide. I can not do HTML to save my life. Im trying to keep my league stats too as far as who finished where, and who knocked them out and all that but it seems like it saves it for just the present tournament and then I lose it, even though the players are in my database.

Someone please help. I know Im an idiot but Im an idiot that needs a lot of help to make this better.

RCPoker

• View Profile
Re: New User needs help (BAD)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »
Okay I got the stats to somewhat work, but they show the very first tournament and not the most recent statistics. It also only shows 7 of my players instead of the 22 I have registered in the database that played in the tournaments. What am I doing wrong?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »
Stats are going to show only those that have earned points. If you've got the program set up to run through all tournaments, then it will run the stats right.

under prizes, you can create a template where 1st gets 10, 2nd gets 9, and so forth. You can save it as a template so that no matter how many people show up, it will always be set right. Otherwise, you can do it as you have through the players tab.

For background pictures, i forget exactly how, but if memory serves, when you go to layout tab, there is an option, somewhere, to put the picture that you want as the background. If you do this through individual cells, the picture will only show up on that particular area.

And don't worry, I was once in your shoes with all of this, as I'm sure most of us were once as well. We're all here to help one another :)
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

RCPoker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
Thanks for the input. Ill try that. One of the issues I have though is the seven people it is giving me, not all of them have points and did not finish in the top seven. Its really wierd that only those are showing up in the stats tab.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:49 PM »
Can you send me the tournaments to me, as well letting me know your points formula? I'll see if I can replicate it on my end and see if/what needs to be fixed
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

RCPoker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »
I would be more than happy too just dont know how to do that, also I dont use formulas because I dont know how to do HTML. It seems complicated to me.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
Okay I love TD. My players do too, but I know Im not using it to its fullest potential. I run a player of the year ranking system in which the top 10 players in the tournaments receive points based on how they finish 1st=10 points, 2nd=9 points, and so on. I cant use the default n-r+1 formula because sometimes I play with 20 players and using that formula would give everyone points. Unless I can manually put points in within the database to keep records of the players, I have no idea how to do that. I go to database and it wont let me edit player points or anything, however, if I go to the players tab, I can strictly for that tournament.

Use the following formula in the Points for Playing input on the Game tab:

max(0, 11 - r)

Also Im trying to change the layout and it will not allow me to change anything except for the title and descritption. How did you guys do it. I click edit properties (say on round for example) and it will not allow me to edit font, width, etc. I know I am probably doing this incorrectly.

Layouts are complicated, that's just how it is (unfortunately).  If you cannot edit Font, Alignment, Dimensions, etc, it's probably because the Property Set is using a Global Property Set.  A Global Property Set is a Property Set that any Cell can access.  This makes it easy to have the same colors, etc, for multiple cells.  If you have to make a change, you only have to change it in one place.  If you want to, for example, change the font size of the Rounds cell, you'll see that it is using the "Odd Rounds" Global Property Set.  Press the Global Properties button on the Layout tab, select "Odd Rounds" and make the change there.  You'll see that every cell using that Global Property Set will update with your changes.

Additionally, I love Bills layout but I know I can not do that. Im one of those people that need a step by step instruction guide. I can not do HTML to save my life. Im trying to keep my league stats too as far as who finished where, and who knocked them out and all that but it seems like it saves it for just the present tournament and then I lose it, even though the players are in my database.

Make sure you save each tournament as its own file.  Let's say you've run your first tournament and saved it in a file named "tourney1.tdt".  To start your next tournament, load "tourney1.tdt" then press "Save As..." and save it as "tourney2.tdt".  Now you have a new tournament, just like the first one, and you haven't written over the first tournament.  Now press the "Reset" button to reset the tournament back to the pre-start state.  Now make any other changes you need and save the tournament again (just press the "Save" button now).

Each tournament needs to be saved separately in order for Stats to work.  Stats basically works by looking in the folder where you save tournaments, finding all tournament files, loading them, and computing statistics.  If you save tournament 2 in (over) the same file as tournament 1, you've lost all of the information from tournament 1.

RCPoker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
okay Thanks Corey and Magic for the input. Ill try that.

RCPoker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:36:15 AM »
I really wished someone lived close to help me with this. Im more of a watch and learn guy. So frustrating. I know Ive only scratched the surface with this program and it bugs me

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »
RCPoker - Just to let you know, I did receive the file and the comments. Going to take a look at everything quick and see if I can figure it out fast. If I can, I'll reply and send it back soon. Otherwise, it'll be later on tonight that it gets sent back.
---

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
RC - for the overall points, I assume you want the total points earned to summed up?
---

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 02:03:05 PM »
Assuming you want the points just to be summed up, here's the file that should be able to help you out. Also, attached are the TTD files that you had sent me. I did make some changes in the first one, so be sure to save the new one (was missing points for playing formula).

I did the assistance file as a TXT since I wasn't sure if you use MS Word or not, and if you do, not knowing which version you run. This way, you should be able to import it into any processing document and it should show up decently for you. (Otherwise, notepad will work just fine too.) If you decide to open it with notepad, I suggest ensuring that "word wrap" is checked to prevent scrolling off the side of the screen.

Hope this helps!

magic_fubu
---

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
I really wished someone lived close to help me with this. Im more of a watch and learn guy. So frustrating. I know Ive only scratched the surface with this program and it bugs me

Where are you located?

RCPoker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »
So. Cal