Author Topic: Is there a standard point ranking system?? :-[  (Read 1563 times)

Druen81

• View Profile
Is there a standard point ranking system?? :-[
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:57:27 AM »
Hi everybody  :)

Me and some friends have started this Great Poker leauge TPT (Trondheim Poker Tour)

But we are struggeling to find the best way to advard points. The system we got now doesnt work very well and im actually quit embarrest about it  :-[

TPT season consist of 6 (intro) tournament pluss a main event. The player with most points (average of 5th best tourny results during the "intro") wins a buy in to our fine Main event tournament :)
So we were kind of hopeing to get some "pro" help on this :D

Have a great day

Druen

May the flop be with you  :D

Jonas

• View Profile
Re: Is there a standard point ranking system?? :-[
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 04:26:21 AM »
Hi Druen!

I have a system for you! Even in Norwegian!

Check out http://www.generalhotell.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=5&Itemid=41, and send me an email...

Be nice to get in touch with various Norwegian Tournament Directors! Maybe we should get organized?

Jonas
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 04:36:42 AM by Jonas »

SVI PokerMasters Guy

• View Profile
Re: Is there a standard point ranking system?? :-[
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:52:54 AM »
A system i use in two different leagues that i run and seems to work quite well is like this:

weekly games, maximum 8 players per table

each table plays unto itself, no balancing tables until the FINAL tournament

1st person knocked out gets 1 point, 2nd out gets 2 points etc etc...if there's less than 8 players we award 1,2,3 for the first 3 out, then 8, 7, 6 for the winners etc skipping the 4 or 5 point.

if you play with less than 8 per table, just "slide" this scale, but the most points awarded should always be the maximum you regularly seat at a table.

we accumulate points from week to week, and EVERYBODY that ever played is eligible for the final tournament. At the final, we give $100 (or $200 or whatever)  in chips for every point a player has accumulated, and that final tournament is played tournament style (we move players and balance the tables) until there is a grand prize winner...

We've found doing it like this has a few advantages:

1) it doesn't matter how late after the "start" a player joins the league, they still have a chance to win overall in the final...the "one chip one chair" syndrome.
2) one good player who comes one week can be competed with by a beginner who comes every week.
3) everybody who plays is guaranteed at least one point each week.
4) the league can be spread into multiple rooms (until the FINAL, that is). In our case, that makes it easy to separate the smokers from the non-smokers. i guess this also means that the league can be run on multiple nights of the week...never thought of that until just now.
5) one of the leagues rotates the deal among all the players at a table, but the other league prefers one dealer for the night at a table. In that league, the winner of a table MUST deal the following week, and guaranteed a MINIMUM of 4 points for dealing. They may play as they deal, so they don't miss out on playing. If they earn 2 points (2nd out), they get 4...if they earn more than 4 points, they get what they earn. The 4 point bonus is NOT in addition to what they earn, it just guarantees them a minimum. we NEVER have trouble getting dealers! If a winner doesn't show up to deal the following week, somebody volunteers, but we are sure to "spread" the job around so that one player doesn't grab mega-points just for dealing.

i've been running leagues like this for over a year, and the system works very well for us...