Poll

Which online tournament/league manager do you prefer?

HomePokerTour.com
3 (30%)
StatsGenie.com / Home Series of Poker
7 (70%)
Other (specify)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: HomePokerTour.com -vs- StatsGenie.com / Home Poker Series COMPARED  (Read 5159 times)

Maverick

• View Profile
Let's discuss the online poker club / league managers here. The two primary online poker club managers are StatsGenie.com and HomePokerTour.com (formerly HomePokerClub.net?)

Which sites have you tried?  Which do you prefer, and why?

Which are easiest to upload tourney details to?

Insofar as club / league management?

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
Re: HomePokerTour.com -vs- StatsGenie.com / Home Poker Series COMPARED
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »
I personally just keep track of everything myself, using MSExcel to aid me in that.  Then, I just post all the results on our leage's own website ( www.oregonpokertour.com ).

I've never really thought about using these sites: are they really that much more useful?

CruiseLite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 09:17:14 PM »
I started to use HomePokerTour but only spent a few hours investigating. I didn't really feel comfortable with it. Granted, it was a short trial.

I then looked at StatsGenie and have not turned back since. Exporting from TD to SG format is a breeze and uploading the xml file into SG is just as easy.

Setting up leagues was pretty easy as well. I've created 4 leagues so far, 1 for our tournaments that generate points toward the YE tournament; 1 for the YE tournament; 1 for special events during the year that don't count toward points for the YE; and 1 for tournaments that are short handed that also do not count toward the YE tournament. Once set up, both TD and SG make keeping the various leagues separate a breeze.

I like that once the data is in SG you can drill down on a multitude of parameters and that you can create your own custom rankings to show as much or as little as you desire. Yes, you can get this info from within TD as well and export to html but you have to load the data each time and that is a bit time consuming. Once it is uploaded to SG then you are done.

The really nice feature of SG is the scheduling. This makes it extremely easy to setup your tournaments and send the invitations out. It takes a bit of time to set things up but if I can do it then any one can!  ;D

The League forum feature is also really nice. It lets all your members have a common local for discussing any items that you want to bring up. We use it all the time for discussion of who can host next game, events occurring to players, whatever.

The 2 together are awesome! I don't know how we got along before running our tournaments w/o them. TD has made running the tournaments almost automatic and since I am the keeper of the records  leading up to our YE tournament, SG makes it really easy to get the info out to every body on a timely basis.

I'm still learning both environments but as I said, they have helped our tournaments tremendously

TheCOG

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 04:18:48 PM »
I like the clean interface that HPT offers better than statsgenie, but in the end I went with statsgenie, as it did so much more than HPT.  For me, the two important things were:

1.  Plenty of statistics - HPT tracked money won and position, if memory serves correct.  statsgenie will track everything else - time out, who the hitman was, etc.

2.  Managing tournaments.  statsgenie will send out invitations, and automate managing the attendees, who can accept or decline the invitation.

Carl.

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 03:41:30 PM »
I'm surprised there weren't more votes to date.  HPT has improved their feature set I noticed but statsgenie seems to offer a little more even so.

We also use Excel to track our membership as someone mentioned above but what someone can do with that is limited by experience with Excel.

Hope to see more comments / reviews from those who use both Tournament Director and HPT / Statsgenie!

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 05:21:35 PM »
I like the clean interface that HPT offers better than statsgenie...

I also like the interface at HPT better.

2.  Managing tournaments.  statsgenie will send out invitations, and automate managing the attendees, who can accept or decline the invitation. Carl.

Carl, I think that HTP also automates managing rsvps/attendees. Not sure about sending out invites but I think you can send email to your club list at any time from HPT, also. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Does anyone know how both statsgenie vs. HPT are insofar as ease of import of tournaments/players data?  This is a very important question which I've not seen answered anywhere.

Thanks for everyone's participation here. We hope to get more votes and repies to this thread soon!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 03:11:11 AM by Maverick »

flounderxl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 11:05:19 PM »
Version v1.60.3 of StatsGenie now permits player importing from TD v2 via csv file

http://www.statsgenie.com/pokerbb/viewtopic.php?t=259

:)