Author Topic: Why should I upgrade?  (Read 3293 times)

DCP

• View Profile
Why should I upgrade?
« on: January 04, 2007, 07:21:47 PM »
I have been using TD for over a year now (v 1.3) and it is a cool program. Now I am considering trying out v 2.2 and it has a lot of really cool features I'd like to use, but almost seems like I need an engineering degree to figure out these formulas for points.

I will be honest here. I am lazy & want things to work out of the box. Of course, that is in a perfect world. Does TD v 2.2 do these things and how...

1) Assign a set points schedule regardless of number of players? Example: 1st: 20pts, 2nd 16.5pts, 3rd 14pts, 4th 11.5pts, 5th 9.5pts, 6th 8pts, 7th 6.5pts, 8th 5.5pts, 9th and on 5pts.

2) Assign a player as the bounty player and award points to the player that eliminates them, or additional points for surviving?

3) Handle elimination style tourneys?

4) Handle leagues and accumulate points for every player?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Why should I upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:06:19 AM »
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Not sure what this style of tournament is.
4) Yes.

DCP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »
Hi Corey,

Thanks for the reply. Is there somewhere I can go on this website that will make the learning curve easier for me? An online manual perhaps? At this point, the biggest thing I see is problematic is the whole points thing. Is it always a formula that has to be created or can I simply state which place receives how many points? 

In regards to elimination style tournament, we are getting ready to hold a heads up tourney that will be double elimination. Rather than write names in a bracket does TD2.2 handle this style of game?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 03:59:27 PM »
There is an extensive user guide built-in to the software.  It can be accessed on the Help tab of the Settings page, or in a floating window by pressing F12 at any time.  There is also a shortcut on the Windows Start Menu to the help that will open it in your default browser.

You can always assign point values as prizes.  For example, your first place prize could be 50% of the pot, and also award 10 points.  If you only have prizes for, say, the top 3 finishers, but want to award points down through 7th place, you can create prizes for places 4 through 7 that have a points value only.

If your points distribution isn't that complicated, I'd go with the formula, since it's a one-shot that will award points to everyone who participates (including 0 points for those finishing beyond a specific rank, if you choose).  It really isn't that hard, and someone here (myself included) can help.

I myself have never run a double-elimination style tournament.  I'm certain there are those among us that have and can offer some pointers.  Without any further explanation of your tournament, a double-elimination tournament sounds to me like a tournament in which every player gets 1 free (zero cost) rebuy.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:15:57 PM »
oops - corey just said all this stuff below - I think we posted about the same time and I missed his post.

If you want to give points just to certain positions, you could just designate that in the prizes tab for each position you want to give a prize to.  (set up a prize for 1st place [rank = 1] and give 10 points or whatever you want for that prize, same for second place, etc).

You can do the same thing using a formula (thus there are 2 ways to do this, forumulas can be more complex).

If you have some other points scheme just list what you want on this forum and someone can give you the forumula to plug into your game structure (if it isn't too complex I can probably figure it out, more complex then maybe Corey could jump in).

What do you mean by a "double elimination" tournament.  please be specific here.  I assume you don't mean a rebuy tourney - that is easy to set up.  A "bracket" structure doesn't make sense to me for a poker tournament, so I think you need to explain this further - give details of how it would work.

The manual is contained within the help section of the program itself.  If you read through the help tab when you open up the game it explains every tab and every field for that tab - it is quite a comprehensive help section.  If you want to print this out then do what I did:

Open the help file (it is a web or HTML file named "docs.html" found in the Tournament Director folder of the program files) and then print it out.  It is over 70 pages long.

DCP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »
Thanks Corey and tandemrx for the detailes replies. My point schedule is as follows:

1st: 20
2nd: 16.5
3rd: 14
4th: 11.5
5th: 9.5
6th: 8
7th: 6.5
8th: 5.5
9th and below: 5

Payouts usually vary upon players, but the point schedule is static, even if we only had 6 playing. Would a formula be a better solution for this or should I set up as a fixed prize?

Ahh another question. I know that v1.3 exports as CSV, so I would assume that 2.2 does as well. Are there any other export options, such as HTML?

I am pretty certain that I will be ready to upgrade within the next month. Thanks again for a great program.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 12:45:03 PM »
forumula would work best since you are giving points to everyone who plays:

Here is one version (possibly a convoluted one :-\, but it works):

if(r=1,20,5) + if(r=2,11.5,0) + if(r=3,9,0) + if(r=4,6.5,0) + if(r=5,4.5,0) + if(r=6,3,0) + if(r=7,1.5,0) + if(r=8,0.5,0)

Plug that into your "points for playing" box in the "game" tab.  Make sure there are no points given in the "points for buy-in", "points for hit", "points received for rebuy", or "points received for addon".  Plus make sure there are no points awarded in the prize section.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 12:50:33 PM »
and yes, you can export to html for most export options.

I think the upgrade is worth it.  The program is very cheap anyway - I think - compared to most programs these days.

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:48:19 PM »
As far as running a heads up tournament; I have on my hard drive tourney brackets for any number of people from 2-32 double elimination style and 33-64 single elimination.  They're all MS Word .docs; you can just print them out and use those for your tourney.  On TD, just make a bunch of 2 person tables and plug the correct matchups in (and in 2.2, you can click and drag players from one table to another so it's easy).

If you or anyone else wants these brackets file (it's a .zip so I can't post it), just email me :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:50:35 PM by TimDugan »