Author Topic: Help with formula setup  (Read 3522 times)

robertchas

• View Profile
Help with formula setup
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »
Hi

We are play in the nuts poker league for points but we also have bounty's and cash prize and I was looking for help in setting this up.

Our season runs every week for 13 weeks.

buy in is £6

£1.50 of each buy in is saved up over the 13 weeks for a final cash game, £2 of the buy in is to be paid on the night to the 1st place winner, £1 of the buy in to be used towards a bounty that is on the previous 1st place winners head, the remaining £1.50 of each buy in is paid to the nuts poker league.

Each player gets 200 points for there buy in, so if there is 25 players then there is a total of 5000 points to play for, points are awarded on position regardless of who you knock out along the way.

1st gets 30% of the points plus 30 bonus
2nd gets 20% of the points plus 30 bonus
3rd gets 13% of rthe points plus 30 bonus
4th gets 10% plus 30 bonus
5th gets 9% plus 30 bonus
6th gets 7% plus 30 bonus
7th gets 6% plus 30 bonus
8th gets 5% plus 30 bonus

All remaining players get 50 points pus 30 bonus for playing

All percentages are of the total and not remaining, At the end of the 13 weeks the top 25% of players qualify for a regional final, and any player who has played more than 9 games is eligible for the cash game (£1.50's that where saved up)

Not sure if the software can cope with such a complex structure, but this is how our league works and I have no choice but stick to it, I am just trying to make it easier to manage and more automated.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

chas
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:25:22 AM by robertchas »

robertchas

• View Profile
Re: Help with formula setup
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:23:42 AM »
Hi

I managed to do the formula for the points using this but still need help calculating it over the 13 weeks and adding it into the summary section as well as setting up the full 13 week season.

assign ("v", n + nr)
assign ("percent", switch (r, 1,  .3, 2,  .2, 3,  .13, 4,  .1, 5, .09, 6,  .07, 7,  .06,  8,   .05, 0))
assign ("points", 0)

if ( (v >=8) && (v <=9), assign ("points",  (v * 200 * percent+4) + if (r < 9, v,  76)))

Thanks

Chas

After testing the above formula It was not working properly so I have adjusted it to the one below

assign ("v", n)
assign ("percent", switch (r, 1,  .3, 2,  .2, 3,  .13, 4,  .1, 5, .09, 6,  .07, 7,  .06,  8,   .05, 0))
assign ("points", 0)

if ( (r>=8), assign ("points",  (v * 200 * percent-v+30)  + if (r < 9, v,  80-4)))

I have had to add -4 to the end as it seems to add this to my 80, have no idea why but this seems to work for me if there is a better way then please let me know.

I still however need help on the other stuff, great program

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:01:06 AM by robertchas »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:15:43 PM »
Hi

We are play in the nuts poker league for points but we also have bounty's and cash prize and I was looking for help in setting this up.

buy in is £6

£1.50 of each buy in is saved up over the 13 weeks for a final cash game, £2 of the buy in is to be paid on the night to the 1st place winner, £1 of the buy in to be used towards a bounty that is on the previous 1st place winners head, the remaining £1.50 of each buy in is paid to the nuts poker league.

It sounds like you're raking £1.50 from each buy-in (for the "nuts poker league").  You'll want to use the rake to collect for your final cash game as well, so you'll need 2 rakes.  Add a rake on the Preferences tab.  Then, set the buy-in to £6.  Set each of the Per-player rakes to £1.50.  On the stats, the Rakes will be totalled automatically so you can see at the end of the season how much money has gone into the final cash game.

There is no way to take a specific amount of money from each buy-in and put it towards a prize.  You'll have to rely on percentages of the pot, which won't be *exactly* as you've described.

After the rakes, £3.00 of each player's buy-in goes towards the pot.  Since you want £2 of each buy-in to go towards the rake, £2 is 67% of £3.00 (well, it's really 66.66666666... percent), so create a prize for 1st place and set the percentage to 67%.  Create a prize, set it to be a bounty on the previous 1st place winner, and set the percentage to 33%.

Each player gets 200 points for there buy in, so if there is 25 players then there is a total of 5000 points to play for, points are awarded on position regardless of who you knock out along the way.

30 + (n * 200 * switch(r, 1, .3, 2, .2, 3, .13, 4, .1, 5, .09, 6, .07, 7, .06, 8, .05)) + if(r > 8, 50)

All percentages are of the total and not remaining, At the end of the 13 weeks the top 25% of players qualify for a regional final, and any player who has played more than 9 games is eligible for the cash game (£1.50's that where saved up)

Not sure if the software can cope with such a complex structure, but this is how our league works and I have no choice but stick to it, I am just trying to make it easier to manage and more automated.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

chas

Since you're basing overall "ranking" (over multiple tournaments) on points accumulated, you don't need to create any type of stats formulas.  Just run stats and look at the Points totals.

robertchas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 02:29:49 PM »
Hi

buy in is £6

It sounds like you're raking £1.50 from each buy-in (for the "nuts poker league").  You'll want to use the rake to collect for your final cash game as well, so you'll need 2 rakes.  Add a rake on the Preferences tab.  Then, set the buy-in to £6.  Set each of the Per-player rakes to £1.50.  On the stats, the Rakes will be totalled automatically so you can see at the end of the season how much money has gone into the final cash game.

There is no way to take a specific amount of money from each buy-in and put it towards a prize.  You'll have to rely on percentages of the pot, which won't be *exactly* as you've described.

After the rakes, £3.00 of each player's buy-in goes towards the pot.  Since you want £2 of each buy-in to go towards the rake, £2 is 67% of £3.00 (well, it's really 66.66666666... percent), so create a prize for 1st place and set the percentage to 67%.  Create a prize, set it to be a bounty on the previous 1st place winner, and set the percentage to 33%.

30 + (n * 200 * switch(r, 1, .3, 2, .2, 3, .13, 4, .1, 5, .09, 6, .07, 7, .06, 8, .05)) + if(r > 8, 50)

Any help would be great.

Thanks

chas

Since you're basing overall "ranking" (over multiple tournaments) on points accumulated, you don't need to create any type of stats formulas.  Just run stats and look at the Points totals.

Thanks Corey this worked out very well, one thing though do I create to prizes 1 for 67% and one for 33%, do I have to select the player manually or does the software know this? I presume it is manually.

Software is excellent

Thanks

Chas

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 04:24:57 PM »
You select the Rank in the Recipient section.  This designates that the prize be awarded to the player making the specified rank.  The software will know who that player or players is/are and will automatically award the prize.

robertchas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:04:12 AM »
You select the Rank in the Recipient section.  This designates that the prize be awarded to the player making the specified rank.  The software will know who that player or players is/are and will automatically award the prize.

I have now set up a tournament called the bridge inn and this tournament has 13 seasons named q4w1 to q4w13, I have run a test event on whilst q4w1 was selected and everything went well now after I save the tournament when I change to q4w2 It still shows up the previous event so I decided to press the reset button and now I lost all the stats in the stats section even if I select q4w1 in the filter.

Also I have prize set up that awards a 33% bounty on the previous winner but I can get this to appear in the stats when I select any of the bounty columns I get 0.00 I think these only refer to bounty chips as defined in the game section is there anyway I can have this displayed in the stats so each player knows how much bounty's they have won over the course of the season.

one last thing all players who have played 9 games or more are entiled to play in the final cash game at the end of the 13 weeks is there any way to have the software display all these players or will this have to be done using the stats filter at the end of the 13 weeks.

Thanks

Chas

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 06:20:52 AM »
you still have the stats for your first tournament... in the stats section, click on the filter button... you have to fill in the proper seasons and dates... Once done click "ok" and it will go back to the stats tab in TD. Now hit the "Refresh" button and then the stats should come up

robertchas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »
nope, I tried this before I posted not sure if I have done something wrong but it seems to have gone, what do I do when I finish the first game of the season do I reset it and then select season 2 of the tournament?

thanks

chas

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 08:33:44 AM »
I have now set up a tournament called the bridge inn and this tournament has 13 seasons named q4w1 to q4w13, I have run a test event on whilst q4w1 was selected and everything went well now after I save the tournament when I change to q4w2 It still shows up the previous event so I decided to press the reset button and now I lost all the stats in the stats section even if I select q4w1 in the filter.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.  Can you be a little more specific about what you are doing?  Did you save your first tournament "q4w1", then reset it, and then save tournament "q4w2" using a *different* filename?  Or did you just press the "Save" button, and so it saved it using the same filename, thus overwriting the first week's data?

Also I have prize set up that awards a 33% bounty on the previous winner but I can get this to appear in the stats when I select any of the bounty columns I get 0.00 I think these only refer to bounty chips as defined in the game section is there anyway I can have this displayed in the stats so each player knows how much bounty's they have won over the course of the season.

The various Bounty columns on the Players and Stats tab refer to bounty chips - not prizes on the Prizes tab that are awarded as bounties on specific players.

one last thing all players who have played 9 games or more are entiled to play in the final cash game at the end of the 13 weeks is there any way to have the software display all these players or will this have to be done using the stats filter at the end of the 13 weeks.

Thanks

Chas

Sure, just set the Overall Scoring formula to

if(s > 8, 1, 0)

Players who have an Overall Score of 1 qualify.  Those who have a score of 0 do not.

robertchas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 11:21:36 AM »
Hi

buy in is £6

Any help would be great.

Thanks

chas

Corey

I have just been saving the complete tournament as the bridge inn, does this mean that each season requires a different save filename, but all seasons will be associated with the torunament called bridge inn if so then this would explain what has happened I have over written week1 with week2, so I should save each week as q4w1, q4w2 and so on under a different filename.

Thanks for the help.

Chas

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
Each tournament requires a different filename.  Make sure you save each tournament under a unique filename, so that you don't clobber any previous tournament's results.

I would implement seasons by creating a season on the Database tab, and then making sure you select that season when you run a tournament (on the Game tab).  You can always load a saved tournament, set the season, and then save the tournament again if you forget to set the season initially.

By utilizing a season created on the Database tab, you can then select that season on the Stats tab Filter, making it easy to run stats over a specific season.