Author Topic: td.db  (Read 1522 times)

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
td.db
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »
The td.db, as you said in another post, contains all the names in my DB. When I remove this file from the folder, TD shows that the DB is empty. When I initialize the Data Store, it creates a new td.db file and the TD still shows the database as being empty.
I have had a few weird things happen with my database (having to enter the same player in the DB week after week and the player's name never showing up in my DB, and also being unable to delete a player...the name just kept coming back). I am wondering if the td.db might be corrupted and can be rebuilt...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: td.db
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Of course any file can become corrupt.  The disk can go bad, another program can overwrite it, Windows could do something funky with it, there might be a bug in the TD.

As far as that file goes, it's unlikely (but not impossible) the TD corrupted it, for 2 reasons: (1) the format is very simple, and thus it's unlikely a bug is in there due to "complexity"; and (2) the format has not changed in any meaningful way in over 5 years.  If there was a bug that caused it to become corrupted, I would have heard about it .. a lot.

If you make a change to a player's nickname, firstname, or lastname, or change any season data, or change any league data or league membership, that entire file is rewritten.  So in that sense, most changes made to the database cause that file to be "rebuilt".

If you have a player that you keep having to add to the database, or that you cannot seem to delete from the database, honestly I would look more closely to make sure you aren't simply adding/deleting the player from the tournament.