Author Topic: League Formula  (Read 2152 times)

Ashley Long

• View Profile
League Formula
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »
hello,

I currently run a league for my University poker soc and I'm looking for a formula for our league. but its going to be a tricky one to write so i could do with some help.

basically we have around a 50 game season so a straight points for finishing high up would benefit people who come every week, but on the other hand an "average" points system would benefit people who only come a few times and get lucky. what we are looking for is a system in the middle were people are rewarded for turning up for most events (around 15-35) but with no big advantage for turning up to every event (if you get what i mean). also on top of that we want to have a "boost" in points for reaching the final table (top 9).

last year we used a complex formula using the number of people who entered and allocating points depending on that but it gave to much of an advantage to the person who won the biggest event.

any help or suggestions as to what points system we should use would be great,

thanks in advance
Ashley long

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: League Formula
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
You might try using the default Tournament Scoring and Overall Scoring formulas, and ignoring points entirely.

The default Tournament Scoring formula is "log((n + 1) / r)" and the default Overall Scoring formula is "(1-exp(-average(scores))) * 100".  This ends up giving a "ranking" of players, and it really isn't dependent on how many tournaments a player participates in, but rather how they rank relative to the number of players.

You could modify the Tournament Scoring formula to add a slight bump for making the final table.  For example, "log((n + 1) / r) * if(finalTable, 1.1, 1)" would add 10% of whatever the player scored for that tournament if the player made the final table.

Just a suggestion.

Ashley Long

• View Profile
Re: League Formula
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:06:32 AM »
thanks for your reply.

i have managed to get in contact with the person who set up the league last year ( morphius and topic /index.php?topic=1031.0 ).

i have decided to go for a similar system to that for the overal league, but i want to increase the points "pay out". atm its around a 1/3 of the members get points but i would like to increase that to 1/2 or slightly more, as well as add in a small "bonus" for the final table players.

would this be possible? from what I understand last years system was very complex so editing/improving it might be hard to do. any help would be really great.