Author Topic: how i calculate tournament standings with my little group  (Read 4062 times)

spitebet

• View Profile
how i calculate tournament standings with my little group
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »
Hi, just my own system I created, but here is what I did with a weekly tournament I organized just last year prior to buying TTD3.  I will try not to forget any details, and I would like your opinion on it, then maybe get someone's help on how to incorporate these "formulas" into the TD.

I had a bank of 15 players that either came to play or not, so number of players varied every week between 5 and 10.  We played in total 30 games in the season.  100$ for buyin, plus 25$ for the final table pot, plus 25$ for bounty.  Buyin got the player 1500 in chips.  I incorporated a possibility of 3 rebuys at 100$ each (75$ + 25$ bounty); that's also a 1500$ in chips.

Winner would take all at a 4-player game.  5 to 7 players, 1st place got 70%, 2nd place 30% (standard).  8-12 players, the usual 50-30-20 (although I was tempted to go 55-30-15 for some reason, but in the end nobody cared - all a player would want is to gain more points/chips for the final table).

These are the standings I take into account:

• The weekly winner gets 1500 in chips.
  • Second place gets 300 only if in the money.
  • Third place gets 150 only if in the money.
  • Everyone gets 25 just for playing a game.
  • Every hit gets 25.

That's it.  What does everyone think?  Does that sound like a legitimate system?

Now I'm sure it's probably easy but I can't seem to figure out how to make these calculations happen in the Tournament Director.

Thank you all for participating in this post.

spitebet

• View Profile
Re: how i calculate tournament standings with my little group
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:00:52 AM »
I think I realize now that there is too big a discrepancy between a tournament winner and a 2nd place.

What I liked about it is that people were really working hard for it.  What I don't like about it is that's the only thing people cared about...

Thoughts?

spitebet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 08:50:31 AM »
OK, so I think I have figured out what I want for my little group of 15 players.

We will have between 30 and 35 games in total, and points count toward a final table spot.  Top 9 in points get a seat.

Points shall go as followed:

• 5 points for 1st place
  • 3 points for 2nd place
  • 2 points for 3rd place
  • 1 point for the bubble
  • 0.25 for hits
  • 0.25 for playing a game
  • -0.5 for rebuys if a player finishes in the money (as some claim aggressive players who rebuy 1-2-3 times should not get the same reward as those who do not)

That's it.  Now, how do I turn this into a formula.  The minus is the tricky part.  Little help and feedback appreciated.

Thank you.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 05:08:02 PM »
0.25 + switch(r, 1, 5, 2, 3, 3, 2, 4, 1) + (nh * 0.25) - if(inTheMoney and (nr > 0), .5, 0)

Should it be -0.5 for each rebuy if the player is in the money?  Or just -0.5 if the player is in the money and rebought?  The above represents the latter.  The former would be:

0.25 + switch(r, 1, 5, 2, 3, 3, 2, 4, 1) + (nh * 0.25) - if(inTheMoney, nr * .5, 0)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
Actually, that may not be quite right.  I assumed that, since you're awarding points to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, that you're also awarding prizes to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but that may not be true.  Here are the two formulas:

0.25 + switch(r, 1, 5, 2, 3, 3, 2) + if(r = (inTheMoneyRank + 1), 1) + (nh * 0.25) - if(inTheMoney and (nr > 0), .5, 0)

and if the player loses .5 for each rebuy:

0.25 + switch(r, 1, 5, 2, 3, 3, 2) + if(r = (inTheMoneyRank + 1), 1) + (nh * 0.25) - if(inTheMoney, nr * .5, 0)

spitebet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:03:29 AM »
Actually, I am awarding prizes as well, depending on the amount of players, but it's rather irrelevant to the points players get. 

5 to 7 players, 2 places pay.  8-12 players, 3 places pay.

As for the rebuys, players can rebuy twice, and yes, they lose 1/2 a point everytime.

Thanks for the formulas - I will try that today (mock game).