Author Topic: Memory  (Read 4552 times)

LeftyGT6

• View Profile
Memory
« on: February 24, 2006, 06:59:12 PM »
How much memory should i have available to run this program?  I see other specifications for the new version on the download screen, but no memory listed.  If I have 128MB, it should run, no problem, right?  For some reason, the clock runs very slow...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Memory
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 10:53:50 AM »
Depends on your system, on how large your tournaments are, etc.  The program can consume 25 to as much as 60 MB of memory when running (blame Internet Explorer).  The biggest problem most PCs have affecting performance is memory.  When there isn't enough memory, the system resorts to using hard drive space, and it swaps memory back and forth between actual memory and the hard drive.  This is slow.  However, if you are using a single application, and don't switch back and forth between more than one application, then after the program is running you *typically* won't see a performance problem.  This is because the system will be using actual memory for the program itself, and other programs (system or otherwise) will be swapped to disk.  So as long as you're using the TD exclusively, you shouldn't see a lot of performance problems due to lack of memory.

A "slow" clock implies that, if you were to take a stopwatch for example, and start the stopwatch at the same time you start your tournament, after some amount of time, the tournament will be "behind" the stopwatch.  If you see this, you've got more serious problems.  The tournament time is based on your PC's internal clock.  It is actually the difference between the time you started the clock and the current time.  So, if it is "slow", then your system clock is slow.  Your system clock is not affected by running programs (unless they intentionally set it).  It is actually based on AC from your local power company while your PC is on, and probably quartz when your PC is off.  At least this used to be true, haven't really checked up on this recently.

If the clock doesn't appear to "update" every second, this is different from the clock being "slow".  This could happen if your PC doesn't have enough horsepower to update the screen every second.  And, like noted above, if your PC is swapping memory (your hard drive light should be on, fairly constantly if this is the case), then it probably won't be able to update the clock display every second.

MooseWizard

• View Profile
    • Louisville Poker Society
Re: Memory
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 11:12:44 AM »
If you have Windows XP or 2000, I would say 256MB is almost a minimum regardless of what you are running. 

If you only have 128, a memory upgrade will result in a performance boost.  Memory is inexpensive, so why not go ahead and upgrade?  I assure you, you will not be disappointed!

(I would go to 512, if you can.)

Of course, Corey's absolutley correct that if your time is 'off' from actual time, that is to say if a second does not equal a second, you've got something wrong other than memory.

The man, the myth, the moose!