Author Topic: Another Option  (Read 2567 times)

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Another Option
« on: August 24, 2012, 11:10:12 AM »
A button (most likely on the plaers and database tab) that will disconnect TD from the td.db file and instantly reload it.
Reason:
The clubs I have worked so far all use several copies of TD simultaneously and share the same data store. When we enter a new player into the database from our main machine the data does not show up in the remote machines unless we go to Preferences and temporarily load another Data Store and then return to the original one. This button would do this for us.
Thanks Corey

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Another Option
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »
Way ahead of you.  This has already been added for version 3.2 (still in development).  No button as of yet, but I added a hotkey action to trigger it.

Thanks for reminding me of this, though, because now I realize I never quite scoped out the implications it could have.  There needs to be some additional work done, since a player's name could change, for example, which would need to be reflected in multiple places if that player is part of the current tournament.

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
This could potentially have an additional application, of allowing multiple tournaments to run on the same computer simultaneously?  Probably TD's only real downfall in the commercial market.

Stuart
Stuart Murray

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »
My opinion is the only downfall to TD is it is not a relational database. In my case with the number of players in my DB it becomes slow and doesn't allow multiple users to edit either running tournaments or players. But, I don't think there are many that use the software as intensely as I do so I make do with what I can. VNC software and the request to drop/load the td.db file are some of those tools. This idea, however is a pretty large job and may be too much for Corey (by the how is the baby?).

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:19:12 AM »
Stuart, howcome I can't message you on FB?

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »
I had a clear out on FB, but I did have messages set to friends of friends so have changed now you can message me bud.
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
But, I don't think there are many that use the software as intensely as I do so I make do with what I can.

I think you're right about that.  I'd bet that 95% users of the software or more don't even get close.

This idea, however is a pretty large job and may be too much for Corey (by the how is the baby?).

There are a lot of things that are requested, and many things that I'd personally like to do, that just don't make sense for the software as a whole given who the majority audience is.  And there are some things that just require way too much time and effort, and since it's just me, I can't do it in just my spare time.  C'est la vie.

The babies are 2 and 4 now, not exactly babies any more.  But still at the age where they want pretty much 100% of my time.  :)  Thanks for asking.