Author Topic: PENALTY FOR RE BUYS  (Read 4022 times)

sass

• View Profile
PENALTY FOR RE BUYS
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:34:54 PM »
Hi guys and gals.

I am 2/3 of the way through running and everything has been going great.  Special thanks to Corey and the TD software for its success.

I am running a 15 week season, top 10 scores being recorded.

Typical blind structures moving up every 20 minutes.  Buy in is $25.00 for $14,000 in chips.  $5.00 goes in the league pot, $20.00 into the nightly pot.

Re buys are allowed for the first for rounds....full price but half the chips (ie $25.00 to re buy and player received $7,000 in chips).

My question to everyone is that some guys in the league think the re buy player should also be penalized points (I currently use Dr Neau's formula but without re buy penalty).

I am interested on what everyone's opinion is on this.  I personally think the by only getting $7,000 in chips is penalty enough.  Has anyone done anything similar with success?

Thanks
Sass

Scotty K

• View Profile
Re: PENALTY FOR RE BUYS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »
I think they are right; one should be assessed a penalty for a rebuy.

I'm currently in the third season of running a league, and we have had the rebuy penalty from the beginning (We also use Dr. Neau's formula).  Everyone is aware of this, so hopefully it encourages better play among the players.  What would be the incentive if a person could bust out knowing that they could rebuy and then go on to win without penalty?  I think someone who wins without having rebought should have that win count for more points than the person who wins after a rebuy.

If I can use a hypothetical:  Player A wins 5 tournaments without having rebought, and Player B wins 5 tournaments rebuying each time.  Who's the better player?  Or taking it a step further; same circumstances, but now in the 11th tournament, Player B finishes in first after a rebuy yet again, and Player A finishes second this time, again not rebuying at all.  Should player B have the higher season point total at this point?

Honestly, having the experience of my own league as a guide, I do truly believe that the rebuy penalty encourages players to play better.

Now, if you are trying to build up the pot for each tournament and your championship, then I guess that would be a whole other matter.  Also, you say that you are 2/3 of the way through a season?  I think you shouldn't make any rule changes at this time; people might get ticked off.  You might wish to discuss this with your group, and then make any changes for the start of the next season.

Anyway, just my $.02.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:45:55 PM by Scotty K »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:03:42 AM »
It also works to equalize any economic disparity among players.  Currently, the $25 fee to rebuy is the penalty, and that may mean different things to different people.  With a points penalty, everyone's penalized equally.

Shed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »
I always deduct .5 for every re-buy or add-on a player purchases.

My PFP is 5 and a hit gives a player 1 point.  I also use Dr Neau's formula converted to TD of course.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 06:43:40 PM »
I can see why you would want to penalize rebuys and add ons but I don't always think that you should... if you advertise an unlimited in first hour rebuy tournament than you shouldn't discourage rebuys... let the rebuys come.... Rebuy tournaments are very wild and unpredictable, and utilizes strategies otherwise not employed in regular games... Also it fattens up the pot, and how can that be a bad thing???

sass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »
Thanks guys for all the great advise......leaning towards a modest penalty for a re buy in my next season.  Maybe 1 or 2 points.

emc300

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 06:33:25 PM »
I can see why you would want to penalize rebuys and add ons but I don't always think that you should... if you advertise an unlimited in first hour rebuy tournament than you shouldn't discourage rebuys... let the rebuys come.... Rebuy tournaments are very wild and unpredictable, and utilizes strategies otherwise not employed in regular games... Also it fattens up the pot, and how can that be a bad thing???

I totally agree.....if you rebuy, that is the penalty.  In your format, you can't rebuy your way to a win, considering you give 1/2 the starting stack for the rebuy.  My opinion:  leave well enough alone.  I like the format the way it is and you get a nice prize fund nightly.

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 06:57:29 AM »
If you are running a league then there must be a penalty for a re-buy or add on.

The idea of a league is to find the best player over a set amount of games.

If a player lets say finishes on 402 Pt's with no re-buys and a player finishes with 404 Pt's with 6 re-buys, I know how has played best
but the league table says different.

In my my league I allowed 2 re-buys or 1 add on at the break, and it was minus points for either.
I have moved away from re-buys now, just have a d/c f/o.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)