Author Topic: Chip Up message  (Read 1912 times)

beaker

• View Profile
Chip Up message
« on: January 09, 2012, 08:13:21 AM »
On the "rounds" tab (I believe), there is an option to flag breaks as a "chip up" period. Wondered if there is a way to alter the default positioning of the resulting "CHIP UP!" message that appears?

Thanks!
Beaker

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Re: Chip Up message
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Locate the cell that has the <breaktext> token and modify its properties from there

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »
ditto Jody, or you could create a message in your events schedule

Trigger A Level Starts
Conditions (state = 2) and (not isRound) and (roundNum = 3)
Actions Display message, Colour Up 25's

Regards
Stu
Stuart Murray

beaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
Thanks Jody / Stuart!

Stuart, I did create an event as you described. The only problem is that I allow bust outs to occur during the break period which trigger a message, so in this scenario the "chip up" message is cancelled by the bust out message.... or I could place the bust out message in queue which I don't really want either.

I will try to play with the <breaktext> token tonight and see how that works out

Thanks again for all the help!
Beaker

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
probably your best shout is to edit the break layout then, as Jody has described, using conditions such as breakNum = 1 etc etc

Stu
Stuart Murray

beaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
Thanks guys. I was able to overcome this issue by creating an event something like this to fire my "break message" (a bit messy but it works)

(state = 2) and (not isRound) and (roundNum = 3) and ((secondsLeft = 1200) or (secondsLeft = 1175) or (secondsLeft = 1150) or (secondsLeft = 1125) or (secondLeft = 1100) or (secondsLeft=1075) and so on, and so on, and so on until you reach secondsLeft=25))

I have 3 events, one for each break. So, one of the following messages will appear depending on which break we're at....
"NOT THE FOOD BREAK"
"FOOD IS READY"
"CHIP UP!"

If a player happens to bust out during a break period the message will be cancelled and the "bust out" message will appear in it's place. While the bust out message is on screen the conditions above will trigger the "break message" again and will wait in queue for the "bust out" message to finish. Once the bust out message has expired the "break message" will appear again right away thanks to the conditions above.

The only problem I run into is that I've set the duration for the "break message" to be 1200 seconds. TD only reviews the event conditions for a newly triggered message and doesn't cancel an existing "break message" when the round changes to an "isRound" state. So, the "break message" may end up running into the next round if somebody busts out during the break. To combat this situation I simply trigger an event with each "level start" that displays a message for 1 second.... the message has a foreground and background color that match each other and the screen background (in other words, this 1 second message is invisible). This message serves no other purpose but to cancel the "break message" if it happens to run into a regular round. Yes... if a players busts out at the end of the break the associated message will be canceled prematurely, but the thought process is that a bust out will most likely occur near the start of the break.

So, all of the above mentioned works quite well!!

Only one problem. When the "break message" is initially triggered, it appears in an unexpected format, with each word in the message on a new line. If the message is cancelled and then triggered again, it appears on one line as expected. (please see attached).

Anyone have any idea why the first triggered message appears in an odd format??

Thanks as always!
Beaker

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »
Quirk of Internet Explorer, and possibly the way I'm creating the message.  To overcome, wrap your message in a <nobr></nobr> HTML element.

beaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:12:50 PM »
Thanks Corey, working good now!