Author Topic: Casting or streaming  (Read 2339 times)

Double Eagle

• View Profile
Casting or streaming
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:25:27 PM »
Been searching but didn’t find a definitive answer. Is there a way to use Chromecast or similar to stream from my laptop to another monitor, or two? I hate having to get up go to the computer by the monitor to make changes.

Or is there something other way to do what I need?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Casting or streaming
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 03:54:21 PM »
I think the general solution is just to use remote control software, like VNC or TeamViewer.  These allow you to remotely connect and control a PC over the network.

Chromecast is an option, too, I think.  Doesn't the Chrome browser plug-in allow you to stream your screen to the Chromecast device?

Double Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »
Yes it does.  I just wasn't sure if it would work with TD since is runs more like an app.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 02:38:24 PM »
I haven't tried it, to be honest.  I know the plug-in will cast a browser tab, but I think it also will cast a screen.  But I could be wrong.

mcfrojd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »
I'm using the program AirParrot to cast my 2:nd screen (game window) to 2 chromecast on other TVs.
You need a decent computer and wireless network to make it work.
(Mine stops working sometimes and needs restarting of the program Airparrot)
If i cast to only one its more stable, and casting to a wired apple TV seems to work best.

Double Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 11:29:18 PM »
I think the general solution is just to use remote control software, like VNC or TeamViewer.  These allow you to remotely connect and control a PC over the network.

Chromecast is an option, too, I think.  Doesn't the Chrome browser plug-in allow you to stream your screen to the Chromecast device?

You can only cast a Chrome browser tab or a video player that supports Chromecast, like YouTube.  I don’t think your other suggestions will work for me as I am just trying to cast my laptop screen to a flatscreen TV.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:33:24 PM by Double Eagle »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 10:32:15 AM »
When I click the Chromecast extension button in Chrome, I see options to "Cast tab", "Cast desktop", or "Cast file" (which is titled "Stream a video or audio file").  When I cast my desktop, it allows me to select which one (I have two displays).  I see the entire desktop with all open applications on the TV.

Double Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »
I never knew there was a drop down tab to “Select Source.”  All I had seen before were the two Chromecast devices I have. Problem solved.

Thank you!

Double Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 12:21:00 PM »
When I use Chromecast to cast TD to a TV set my HP laptop keeps setting itself to mute and I get no audio delivered to the TV. If I unmute my laptop it will play sound for one level and then mute itself again. It does not do this when I use an HDMI cable to connect my laptop directly to the TV set.

I don’t know if this is a function of my laptop or some other issue.  Has anyone else had this problem?   Any suggestions on how to fix it?