Author Topic: Formula help  (Read 1766 times)

krokusmoen

• View Profile
Formula help
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
Hi guys

We've just started using the Tournament Director, and it truly is a great program.

We need some help regarding the points for playing

Question #1:
What is the default formula (the one you see in Overall Score in the Stats tab)

Question #2:
How can I alter this formula with adding 5 points per hit?

Appreciate it!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Formula help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:12:46 PM »
n-r+1 is the default formula.  Note, though, there is no "actual" default formula... So if that's what you want to use, then you would have to enter it in to the formula box.

To add 5 pts for a hit, there's a box on the main (game) screen that says "points for hit". You can enter a "5" in there.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

krokusmoen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

When I referred to the default formula, I meant the points shown under "Overall score" in the stats tab.

For instance,

We player a tournie with 34 people, Nr #1 got 97 points and nr 2 approx 94. We like this formula, but only want to add hits to the Overall score.

You got a handle on that?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
you'd want to add "+ h" to your formula since h is preset for hits
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:27:18 AM »
You can see the default Tournament Score and Overall Score formulas by editing Filters on the Stats tab, selecting the Default filter, then pressing the Tournament Score or Overall Score buttons.  This will show you the formulas and allow you to test them, but you can't edit them (nothing in the default filter can be edited).

The Overall Score is used to combine the Tournament Scores into a final value, and as such you can't add a player's hits directly using this formula.  You would need to modify the Tournament Score formula to do this.

krokusmoen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:00:58 AM »
Found it, but that expression can't be used per tournament?

What I would like is the "Tournament Score Formula", but instead of the top finisher getting e.g. 3.7612 points, I want the highest score to be 3.7612 = 100%, with the formula:

TSF = log((n + 1) / r)

R1 = Rank number 1 (Tournament Score of 3.7612)
R2 = Rank number 2 (Tournament Score of 3.0681)

(R2 * 100) / R1 = Points for number 2

Please, please help me :-)

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:18:35 AM »
So you want log((n+1)/r) to determine points for each tournament? If so, take out the TSF= part and put the rest in the points for playing box.  Otherwise, if you're looking for it to show the overall score, where you have the season set up, there's a box for overall score. Put it in the Overall Score 1 box (assuming you're only using the one to determine score), but again, leave out the TSF=

Reason you need to leave it out (and why you're getting the error) is that anytime you use a variable in TD that's not predefined, you need to define it before you use it.

Ex:

TSF=((n+1)/r)

((TSF) ^ 2)/2

---

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
Found it, but that expression can't be used per tournament?

What I would like is the "Tournament Score Formula", but instead of the top finisher getting e.g. 3.7612 points, I want the highest score to be 3.7612 = 100%, with the formula:

TSF = log((n + 1) / r)

R1 = Rank number 1 (Tournament Score of 3.7612)
R2 = Rank number 2 (Tournament Score of 3.0681)

(R2 * 100) / R1 = Points for number 2

Please, please help me :-)

This confuses me.  log((n + 1) / r) only makes sense on a per-player basis, because it includes the r variable, which is the player's rank.

If we assume TSF is log((n + 1) / r), then the player ranked first would get 3.7612 points (in the case of 42 players in the tournament).  Thus, 2nd place would get (3.0681 * 100) / 3.7612, or 81.5724 points?  I'm lost.