Author Topic: Rebuys before the start of next round.  (Read 4338 times)

Bean_D

• View Profile
Rebuys before the start of next round.
« on: June 15, 2007, 04:36:50 AM »
In our homegame, the general meaning is that it should be possible to allow re-buys before the next round begins instead of before the actual round ends. At our tourney the clock stops at the end of each round to let the actual hand finish. If a heads-up occur at that time (it has happenned twice already) it is considered "unfair" amongst the busted players to not be able to do a re-buy as the following round hasn't started. As it is now, my only solution is to manually stop the clock everytime an ongoing hand is at the end of the blinds period. Is there another solution?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:41:27 AM by Bean_D »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuys before the start of next round.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:47:04 AM »
You could set the preference to automatically pause the clock at the end of each round...  That way you have to manually start the clock when the next round actually begins.  Or am I not understanding you?

Bean_D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:08:10 PM »
That is exactly how the program is set up. But:

We have set TD to "disable rebuys after round 2". The thing is, as the second round finishes, TD doesn't allow any more rebuys even if the clock stops at the end of round 2 even if round 3 never starts.  As our rules states, the clock doesn't start for the next round until the last ongoing hand in the actual round is finished. (We start it manually.) If that hand is going into a H-U, the option for a rebuy is gone for the busted player. What would fix the probem for us is if you coded the "no-rebuys" to start at the moment the *next* round start instead of when the selected round finishes.

It is frustrating to explain complex problems in one's seccond language. I hope I made myself more clear this time.
And no, I'm not telling you that I am an English teacher :-)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »
Actually, that IS how it is coded.  But if you have the preferences set to automatically pause at the end of a round, it actually pauses at the point the round changes.

But regardless, even though the rebuy dialog tells you that rebuys are no longer allowed, it has the option to override.  Is there some reason this isn't sufficient?

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 09:16:49 PM »
interesting...

we have three rounds of twenty minutes and then take a break. We allow rebuys during the first hour and one add on after the hour.  I think the break is allowing us to utilize the rebuys and the addon because we have had the exact situations ourselves, so I never noticed that problem. There is a small problem though. I have it set up so that the program pauses after the break. If I don't enter in all the addons then I have to go switch the addon after round 4 instead of round 3. This happen because I usually need my smoke break and don't get back before the 10 minute break is up, which usually is not a problem because it automatically pauses.

What if you were allowed to put addons and rebuys even if set different, maybe by allowing time discrepancies and such. I'm not suggesting a request for suggestions, but maybe a brainstorm might come up with a good solution.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 04:43:08 PM »
Ok, maybe I'm not getting something.  The following is true for both add-ons and rebuys, but I'll use "rebuys" for ease of typing:

If rebuys are Not allowed, then you cannot rebuy anyone.  Attempting to do so will tell you that "Rebuys are not allowed", and give instructions for configuring the tournament so that they are allowed.

If rebuys are Allowed, but the current tournament conditions cause them to be disabled (such as being past the last round in which rebuys are allowed, or the maximum number of rebuys has already been reached), attempting to rebuy will give you a dialog that warns you that rebuys are not allowed and gives the reason(s) (past the last round in which rebuys are allowed, for example).  This dialog has 2 buttons: Cancel and Override.  If you choose to Override, you will be allowed to purchase rebuys even though the tournament conditions should prevent it.

So, it sounds like, from both descriptions from Bean_D and Phaze, that the last round in which rebuys are allowed ends and the clock pauses.  However, the TD actually moves the state to the beginning of the next round and then pauses the clock.  This in effect disallows rebuys, but you would like to purchase them anyway, because the next round really hasn't started yet.

Why is it that you can't press the "Override" button to accomplish this?

Bean_D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 05:24:32 AM »
I don't understand here... There must be something I missed. If a player is busted out within "limits" so to speak, a dialog box opens asking me if the player wants to do a re-buy. If the round has finished (according to my previous posts), there *is* no dialog box appearing, the player is just kicked out. I don't get a dialog box or anything offering me to override. what am I doing wrong?

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 11:06:17 AM »
I've never seen an override button. Is it a new feature? I haven't used the new version in play yet

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »
Ah-ha, see, I *was* missing something.

The feature to immediately rebuy a player after they bust out (so they can retain their current seat), doesn't utilize the override option - it simply skips the question if rebuys aren't currently allowed.  So this becomes a feature request - I'll put it on the to-do list.

If you specifically rebuy (press the V key by default) at some time other than when player(s) bust out, you'll see the override option.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 12:23:38 PM »
OK, I've added this - will be in the next release which will be soon since it has a rather important fix for non-player tracking mode.

Bean_D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 02:04:21 AM »
Thank you for excellent service!