Author Topic: Formula Question  (Read 1421 times)

thomamon

• View Profile
Formula Question
« on: December 06, 2008, 02:04:05 PM »
Not that I can even get the program started right now, but is a formula like this possible?  This is what we currently use in our league:

=IF(C3<=0.8*B3,8*(SQRT(B3)/SQRT(C3))*(1+LOG(A3+0.25)),10) 

where C is rank, B is players and A is money

thomamon

• View Profile
Re: Formula Question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »
OK, I tried it and everyone is getting 10 points and I can't figure out why. Any suggestiosn?

EDIT: This is what i adjusted the formula to using the help file: (R3<=0.8*N3,8*(SQRT(N3)/SQRT(R3))*(1+LOG(BC+0.25)),10)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:32:11 PM by thomamon »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
if(r <= 0.8 * n, 8 * (sqrt(n) / sqrt(r)) * (1 + log(bc + 0.25)), 10)

Assuming "A is money" means the player's buy-in cost.  I don't know why you've got "A3", "B3", and "C3" throughout your formula when you make note that the variables are "A", "B", and "C".  It appears you've added the "3" to each variable in your updated formula, too.  Unsure why that is, but it won't work in the TD.

On last thing, you may need to change "log()" to "log10()" if the formula does not give you the desired result.  See the user's manual for info on the difference in the 2 functions.

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:06:10 PM »
if(r <= 0.8 * n, 8 * (sqrt(n) / sqrt(r)) * (1 + log(bc + 0.25)), 10)

Assuming "A is money" means the player's buy-in cost.  I don't know why you've got "A3", "B3", and "C3" throughout your formula when you make note that the variables are "A", "B", and "C".  It appears you've added the "3" to each variable in your updated formula, too.  Unsure why that is, but it won't work in the TD.

On last thing, you may need to change "log()" to "log10()" if the formula does not give you the desired result.  See the user's manual for info on the difference in the 2 functions.
It works perfect with the log10().

Is there a way to have it round to the nearest 1?

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 08:08:57 AM »
I figured it out.   

Thanks so much for your help Corey, it is much appreciated.

I asked the guy who created the formula for our league what the 3 was in the formula, he said he copied it from his excel spreadsheet and didn't take it out, lol.