Author Topic: Syntax Error  (Read 3473 times)

Whiterhino

• View Profile
Syntax Error
« on: August 20, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »
I cannot now open TD just get syntax error line 29... any ideas please?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Syntax Error
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
What version of the software are you using?  What version of Windows are you using?  What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Whiterhino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:51:55 AM »
Windows Vista / IE 9.0/ TD 2.5.11: also have had problem on another laptop with XP/IE 8.0 & TD 2.5.11 Thanks

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »
Odd that you see this error on two different computers running different versions of Windows and Internet Explorer (and yet I have not heard of this specific issue from any other person).  Are you perhaps connected to the internet behind a web proxy of any kind?

Whiterhino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
Yes it is odd isn't it, I had deleted the data folder and uninstalled TD, then re-installed and copied a folder from my PC that I know works, all was well and i restored the back up and ran a test on the laptop for several hours. I then updated to AVG 11 and completed all windows updates then soak tested the laptop and rebooted and carried out further tests.
All was well then I launched a tournament some time later and recieved the error; An unexpected error occurred Messag: Syntax error Line 29, this error occurred before the Tournament Director could fully initialise and will therefore exit.
Very strange indeed.
My next step will be to format the laptop and start again. I have seen a similar error which appears repeatedly although does not stop the tournament director openeing and when I click Ok it is possible to carry on the tournament, but not with the error that I have now.
XP Pro Internet Explorer 8 etc.
After typing all this I have disconnected the wireless internet and plugged in directly to my router and interestingly enough the TD starts ok, I have now disconnected the internet altogether and it still opens fine. On reactivation of the wireless internet the error returns, so basically solution found but still very odd. One other symptom of this problem before the fatal error occurred was that the database of players was listed by first names only, I realise that this is probably unexplainable but I'm just trying to give you as much info as possible. I will try to resolve on the other laptop as soon as I can. Thank you once again for your prompt replies.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:00:41 PM »
Seems very odd to me also, that you would have the issue with wifi turned on, but not with it off. Personally, I've not had any issues with wifi on and hooked up, but then I only have that when I'm updating TD with tournaments from the other person (who only runs them with pen and paper). I'm running on Win 7 fully up to date (as of this post, at least), and also using AVG, but version 10.0.1392 and DB 1520/3866.

It almost sounds like some sort of hardware conflict to me, but I'm not specifically trained on on that sort of thing in the way I used to be about 10 years ago.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Whiterhino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »
Yea, having been a computer tech for a long time now this sort of thing doesn't shock me but a hardware conflict would still manifest itself even when the connect option is turned off, I guess it could be a driver / software problem induced by a windows update, cos as well know with Microsoft 'anything' can happen ;-)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:27:41 AM »
The Tournament Director software performs a "new version check" upon startup.  There is a preference to disable this, but even if disabled the software still performs the check, it just doesn't report anything to you.  Due to the nature of the application and how this check works, if the response from the server is altered it could cause an error in the software.  This usually results in a bogus error that allows you to continue (so it's just an annoyance), but for some reason more recently this has caused an error that doesn't allow the software to start up properly.  This has found to be the case for some computers that are behind web proxies.  Usually this would be found in a corporate environment, not a home environment.  However, many routers and/or gateways can modify the response from a website, which could lead to this.  You might consult the documentation on your router and see if there's a setting that may affect this type of behavior.

Whiterhino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:43:46 PM »
Hi Corey,

I have narrowed down this error to the 'BT Fon' system which is Bt's effort to provide a shared cloud type of broadband coverage. If the laptop attempts or successfully logs in to BT Fon the syntax error occurs and the software will not start up. It would seem that if the software is started up prior to the system logging into BT Fon then the error re-appears within the software but doesn't stop you using it.

However I have another problem which I am not sure whether is connected to this or not. The software works fine and then on an odd occasion will boot up and the database appears as first names only and all preferences appear to be returned to a default mode which includes full screen mode and a $ sign prefixing any cash value. In this instance re-running the latest back up appears to resolve the issue after I have disabled the wifi.

How frustrating

Whiterhino

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 05:52:19 PM »
Without wanting to perhaps quote the obvious would it be possible to disable this check for the update at the start until such time as we all understand the issue, maybe an emergency patch ?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
Well, an emergency patch would be warranted were this having an effect on a lot of users, but it isn't.  In fact, I can currently count on one hand the number of cases I am aware of.  The issue is pretty understood at this point (I believe).  And really, the error the TD is seeing is a symptom of the real problem: that being that something is altering data to/from the Tournament Director website while in transit.

The method by which this check is implemented will be entirely different in the new version, and I believe this won't be an issue anymore.

I'll continue to monitor this in the meantime.  If I see more cases of this, or if I learn any new information about it, I'll see about releasing an update.  But at this time I don't want to delay work on the new version any more than is absolutely necessary.

Whiterhino

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
Am I right in thinking that we have two issues here or do you feel that they are connected

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »
I believe there is a single issue.  I believe the second issue you noted is related to the first and will cease to exist once the first issue is fixed or worked around.