Author Topic: help with stats issue  (Read 2730 times)

CanopicJar

• View Profile
    • The Back Door Holdem blog
help with stats issue
« on: September 24, 2006, 12:21:19 AM »
Tonight, after the end of the tournament, someone minimized the software without me knowing it.  Later, when I went to shut down my laptop to take it home, the program was still running minimized and it locked up.  When I got home and booted up, the tourney had not saved.  Would there be any temp files saved anywhere on the hard drive that would show me the order of people getting put out and who the hitman was?

Travis

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: help with stats issue
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
Not unless you had the Auto Save feature turned on.   :(

CanopicJar

• View Profile
    • The Back Door Holdem blog
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 02:07:41 PM »
Thats the way to rub it in ;D

I have contacted everyone at the tourney and compiled a placement list and the number of hits each person obtained.  I will be running a mock tourney and keying it back in so that the stats will be correct.

It was a lesson learned.
Travis

theHammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:05:35 PM »
I had to do that last month, also - because my 4.5 hour tourney was not Auto Saved (my oversight, I admit).

Is there a way to make "Auto Save" the DEFAULT vs. having to check it off?  Wouldn't most folks want to auto save?  Why not have to un-check it if we don't want it for some reason.  Including a warning if we do un-check it.

hawklight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 04:14:43 AM »
Or maybe flash up a warning when the tourney starts saying that auto-save is not enabled? Altho having a preference setting that allows you to enable auto-save as the default would be better - then you get the choice  :)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 10:36:14 AM »
No, actually, you very much DO NOT want auto-save to be on by default.

Consider what a lot of people do:  they run their first tournament and it's a success.  For their next tournament, they load up the first one, and just reset it.  Eventually they save it under a new name, maybe before the tournament starts, maybe during, maybe after the tournament is over.  However, if auto-save were on by DEFAULT, it most likely would have auto-saved before they ever got around to saving it under a new name.  And presto: they've LOST their first tournament.

There are a lot of variations on this theme.  I guarantee there would be a lot more people losing valuable tournament information because of something similar to this, rather than they forgot to turn auto-save feature on.

Turning auto-save on is by design a deliberate action.

theHammer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 01:12:39 PM »
Point taken.

What about consideration for one of the alternative suggestions, such as - a Warning pop-up if you begin your game and Auto has not yet been activated?  Or some variance of that theme, so as to at least have an alert to the fact that you may be positioning yourself to lose some very valuable data.

I now understand your deliberate action of not making it "ON" by default (as creator of this terrific program, you've probably experienced virtually every scenario) - but perhaps there's a happy medium in there somewhere.  I just know that I don't want to have to call / email my players again to try and recreate the entire evening (asking who got knocked out by whom and in what order over a 4 1/2 hour event that involved beer).  And until the beginning of this thread, I really hadn't figured out what I HAD done to lose the data from my 12th event that I'd held with no loss of data prior (just one more thing I hadn't experienced yet!).  So thanks again for this forum.  I'm beginning to feel like I'm gaining a handle on this program!

Experience is the best teacher.  I just want it to be someone else's!   ;)